Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I convert a MJPEG 3MB/s to less with fast/card recompression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I convert a MJPEG 3MB/s to less with fast/card recompression?

HI!

I Have a clip at best quality 3MB/s that is 6 min long, so +-950 MB
    I want to archive it on CD by converting it to MJPEG at <2 MB/s.
    Now I don't understand why it take an hour to do that. The Marvel G400 does realtime Hardware encoding, so how can I use the hardware to compress +- realtime?
    Thx!
    Fauc

Easy,

You play the file out to your second system, which captures it at lower resolution in realtime

Comment

he, can't play an AVI while capturing ?!
      That would loose quality!
      Any other idea?
      Fauc

Comment

right now you can only use the "HW mjpeg" to capture, and display (I think)

but if any one knows how to use the "HW mjpeg" to decode/encode plaese let me know

Comment

It takes a while because rendering a clip to a new data rate requires a total recompression of the video. This takes time no matter what card you use as recompression is done in the editing software, not the hardware.

Recompression also usually reduces the quality below that of what you would have obtained if you'd captured it at the target rate to begin with.

My advice: recapture it at settings that will give you the desired data rate.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 22 February 2000).]

Comment

I can understand that decompressing + recompressing can reduce quality, but I can't recapture the clip, it is a clip made with Premiere that I would like to archive on 1 cd with the best possible quality.
            It tried LSX Mpeg2 encoder, but hi-res interlaced fast moving pics became somehow distorted, displaced on some fast moving areas ;(
            So I thought I'll use a MJPEG with more compression...
            But I still don't understand why it wouldn't be possible to use the hardware for reencoding. sounds pretty crazy having hardware compression, and having to use software te recompres.. ;(
            Fauc

Comment

Working...
            X