Recording volume always low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording volume always low

Sound recorded from an external source (mic or line doesn't matter) is played back at a much lower volume level. The mixer utility confirms that the level is very low.

Funny enough, I get full volume as it should be when routing the mic or line directly to the speakers for example during video playback from camcorder. So, it's not the mic or the line-in. And it's independent from the software used: PC/VCR, AVI_IO, MS soundrecorder, Creative whatever... all give bad results.

After trying all buttons I found back and forth with zero success: Is there a button I havn't found yet, to boost the recording volume ? (Just to avoid you ask: All recording volume sliders are at max and selected in the Windows volume control panel.)

My system: Win98SE, SB64AWE(OEM) w/ driver SB16.vxd 4.38.16, G400TV, MSP5.2, PC_VCR, AVI_IO

All bright ideas are highly appreciated !

Stephen

And the playback sliders are up to full? Remember that, while recording, the sound you hear out your speakers is controlled by the line-in slider, but on playback the sound is controlled by the wave device.

And the mixer utility you're using... which one is it?

Comment

Hi there!

You know what...? I also have a SB Awe64 (Value) and it has always had the same problem. I have always had very quiet sound. It's odd, in that when I listen through the speakers or whatever else, everything is fine, but when I try to output through the outputs to the TV, it's very quiet, and I have to turn the TV up very far.

My way around this problem was to use an external slide mixer on the output to the TV, so that I could boost it to decent levels. And I just got a new set of speakers that have a sound-out on them, that from time to time I'll use in much the same way, as turning the volume nob lets me adjust the sound. I've listened very carefully, and I don't seem to get any sound degredation from the fact that it's being preamped by the speakers instead of the board.

You might look into something like this. Or get a different sound card, as I think it has more to do with the SB than anything.

Matt

Comment

Dayspring:
        I'm not sure that this is what I wanted to hear (:-], but thank you anyhow! At least that's a valuable hint towards a possible source of my problem.

fluggo99:
        All sliders are up to full. I have both the Windows Volume Control Panel and the 'Creative Mixer'. Both behave synchroneous: If I open both and change sliders in one they move in the other as well. Any idea ?

Comment

Working...
        X