Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the SIIG 3-port firewire card good for DV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the SIIG 3-port firewire card good for DV?

Is there any difference between the SIIG 3-port PCI IEEE 1394 card and their DV video card? Is the only difference in the software bundle?

Would I have any problems with this card using Video Studio 4 or Media Studio Pro 6?

This card is on sale for $49 at FRY's (California) this week. Is this a good deal?
    http://www.siig.com/1394/3portpci.html

------------------
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Assuming its based on the TI firewire chip, it could be a good deal if you already have Media Studio Pro6 or Visual Studio4 *and* are running windows2000 I think its a very good deal. You might get by with windows98SE.

Otherwise you need the drivers and support to have any hope of getting it to work with plain win98.

If its based on the Adaptec firewire chip, forget it, they've orphaned it.

--wally.

Comment

I have a SIIG 1394 DV CAM KIT, and it's running nicely with MSP6. There are two things that you should know about, however:

One is that you can't do 'timeline playback' to the camcorder via these generic 1394 cards with MSP6 yet. You have to create a new video file of your project and send that to the camcorder. This limits projects to just under 20 minute pieces, which is the filesize limit (4 gigabytes) for each file you create. I get around this by doing long projects in under 20 minute segments, and then do a simple 'linear edit' back to the camcorder. Since DV camcorders are really good for this kind of linear editing, it works out just fine.

The other thing is that the MS codec for DV currently has a problem with long captures. Once you get out to 17 to 19 minutes in a captured file, and import this to the MSP6 timeline, the audio will be about 8 frames behind the video. (The source clip, itself, will play back unaltered without this problem, though. It's only when you want to edit it that this happens.) The only workaround for this right now is to capture short (5 minutes to 10 minutes at most) for your source clips, but only if the audio syncronization is important for the project (sometimes it doesn't matter).

I'm running Windows98 Second Edition, and I would recommend that over Win2k or any earlier edition of Win98, as generic 1394 and MSP6 has the most support on Win98SE.

The SIIG 1394 card is the same one that's bundled in the 1394 DV CAM KIT.

Comment

Jeff you think the 8 frames over 20 mins is bad you should try the batch capture from a LP recorded (or worse still mixed SP/LP) MiniDV tape 8-) Enough to make your toes curl

When starting batch cap Ulead leaves my cam
        in a mode where it seems it can only position based on the SP mode timepoints on a tape.. probably using some underlying (and SP conformed) fixed control track

Choose a point 10 mins into a LP mode segment and the cam will shuttle back to where that is 10 mins into an SP mode tape As LP mode stores 1.5x as much that means the cap actually starts 15 mins into LP mode footage.

If that wasnt head hurting enough to deal with try the same with a tape containing LP then SP mode footage and the drift is no longer easily calculable - it'll depend entirely on the amount of LP mode versus SP mode footage on the tape prior to the footage you are trying to batch capture.

It might be camcorder I tried it with (Sony PC100) though same applies with at least one Panasonic I know of that it was tried with also,

The root cause stems from MSPro 6 placing the camera in stop mode then doing a free FF or Rewind, rather than placing cam in
        pause mode and then doing a cue review (which is how the batch cap utility I eventually used to successfully handle this sort of footage worked)

BTW while I'm here one tip (if you dont already know) If you download and install the playback codec for the Canopus raptor and grab yourself a copy of scenealyzer 3 you can now optically scan your source clips for transitions from one piece of footage to another and actually see thumbnails of the results

Scenalyzer can then split the one long source capture into its constituent scenes based on this scan as seperate AVI's

Of course Scenealyzer will already do this for DV footage that has had date time on the original tape (splitting on basis of time or date changes between scenes)But this extends its a functionality - especially if you are inputing analog source material that lacks these attributes via the anolog to DV convertor box I beleive you are using for some of your work?

Steven C

Comment

Working...
        X