Marvel incompatible to Realtek network card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel incompatible to Realtek network card

The Marvel G200 is incompatible to network cards based on the Realtek RTL8029AS chip,
    using the driver that came with Windows 98 SE.

The computer locks up completely when you try to capture video. No interrupts were shared, so that's not the problem.

Disabling the driver of the Realtek made my Marvel functional again. I swapped the card for an AMD PCINET and the problem was gone also.
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Hi Flying dutchman !

I have two computer systems both equiped with Marvel G400s and network cards based on the Realtek RTL8029AS chip using the driver that came with Windows 98 SE.

And I have no problems here with this configuration in WIN98SE, Win NT4 and Linux.

I guess you should check your configuration to find the real reason for your problems.

Bye, Uwe.

Comment

Same here,

Both of my editing systems have RTL8029AS NIC:s and I have not had one problem with them.

Pertti

Comment

Add me to the list of success stories with the realtek. Wonder if you had a bad card...
        Techman2 Dual Celery 366@458 marvel g400 64 meg 20 gig scsi CDR and 5 disk changer sb16 audio win 98 and win 2k

Comment

I now have two hardware profiles on my PC; in one of them, I disable the network adapter and video capturing works fine, in the other profile I have access to the network but I can't capture video without my PC dying...I don't know what causes this conflict, but it is not IRQ sharing.

By the way, if you use a Realtek card, make sure you get the latest driver!

I have two Realteks here, one "no-name" and one manufactured by Accton. The PCB's look perfectly identical- must be some generic OEM design.
          The "no-name" card came with the same driver that is built-in "Windows 98 SE" and which works well. The Accton card comes with the same driver that is built into Windows 98 "first edition" and that one causes problems.
          This driver caused heavy data corruption on several PC's in our company. It ruined one very precious Access database which was a pain in the XXX. I managed to track down the cause: the database logs revealed that the damaged records were always last edited by users that had Windows 98 (first edition) and Realtek cards. Upgrading to Win98 SE (which has a newer driver) solved the problem instantly - no more data loss.
          Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
          X