• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaStudio 6.0 not enough memory

On my computer I get the following error message:
    Not enough memory on your hard disk ...
    [17105:9:4]

This happens when I create a video file (AVI) and the size is more than 4,194 GB witch corresponds to 24,04 min (there is 11 GB left on the hard disk).

Could anybody help me

Thanks
    Gandi
    Only fools have fun

It isn't a MS problem, you're attempting to create a file that's bigger than the limit imposed by the operating system.

Solution ? Wait for a better O/S.

Comment

What is a better O/S?
      In the moment I use Win 98SE.
      Is for my problem WIN NT or Win 2000 better?
      After this I've the next question.
      I use a matrox marvell G400-TV.
      Thus this card works under Win NT or Win 2000?
      Best Regards
      Gandi
      Only fools have fun

Comment

Well, BeOS supports files up to 18 Petabytes (18 million Gb). BeOS doesn't have a very good selection of video editing apps right now. This summer, though, UltraDV is being released which will compete with Premiere.

The Be File System is efficient enough to play back DV resolution video on standard 5200RPM drives.

Man, Im a broken record.

Comment

Thank you very much for your answers.
          But this don't realy solves my problem.
          Is there another possibility with Win 98SE and MediaStudio?
          I don't know the MS not good enough. Maybe there is another posibility in the MS?
          Regards
          Gandi
          Only fools have fun

Comment

Break it up into smaller files and play them sequentially, or hit the preview playback button and record it straight from the timeline (essentially cutlist playback).

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 03 April 2000).]

Comment

Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6 supports the new
              NTFS (no .avi file size limit).

The catch: You would normally need
              Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000.

I've heard of a program by Winternals
              that enables this type of file allocation
              in Windows 98SE... but I do not know if
              it is supported by Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.

Comment

Sorry, that "wait for better O/S" was a flippant remark and not meant as serious advice.

The workaround is to change your own working practices so that you don't have to great files that big. Using MSpro, you can line up a large number of smaller files on the timeline, if desired using transitions between each. The project can be saved and resumed at a later date if desired. Eventually, the whole project can be played to VCR using smart render.

The NT/W2K/BEos suggestions are possibilities, but at this moment in time without much bite. As you will have read on the forum, NT4 is not well supported by the Matrox capture equipment, and W2K is also not currently "officially" supported (although some users have had success by pooling their resources here).

BE still has to prove itself although it has future promise.

Basically, just use smaller files - it isn't the end of the world

Comment

Why not try generating a MPG file instead of AVI? MPG file is smaller in file size and does not have the 2GB limit like that of AVI file on Win98. It will take much longer to generate the MPG file though.

Comment

To create a mpeg file was my first idea too. But then I have a problem with the matrox marvell G400 TV.
                    Because the matrox card don't understand this format (play back to a VCR for example).
                    That is what I've understand (maybe I don't understand it correct).
                    When somebody knows a better idea, I want to try everything.
                    Best regards
                    Gandi
                    Only fools have fun

Comment

Gandi,
                      the Marvel G400-TV CAN play MPEGs to VCR/TV.
                      My does it only when I switch on "DualHead Clone" and mark the "Use DualHead DVD Max".
                      Be prepared when you play .AVIs again after the MPEGs, that your Marvel G400 switches off the red color to blue on your TV (or is it a fault in my own TV? don't know) but not on the main monitor. Sometimes the H-synk is broken too, on the TV.
                      All this with the PC-VCR and VT 1.52 and/or with MSP6.
                      In most of the cases I can reset the normal colors on TV by switching to a TV chanell and back again to record.
                      Ofcourse, you'll need an MPEG (de)/compressor like Ligos, which is built in with the MSP6.

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 04 April 2000).]
                      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

I have tried to create a AVI file larger than 4 GB with MSP 6. The first time I took 3 AVI files each was 2GB and put them in the timeline and outputted to a AVI file. I didn't do any recompression. I got a 5GB file. I expected a 6GB file. When i tried to use it in VirtualDUB it made VirtualDUB crasch. I captured a 13Gb file with VirtualDUB. When i loaded that in to MSP I could only see the first 10 minutes. The second time i tried to make a >4GB file MSP stopped after 5 GB and said that the disk was full. It was 8GB left on the drive. Have anyone succesfully made a >4GB file with MSP 6 and used it in another program. I did all these tests under Windows 2000.

Comment

Hallo Jerrold,
                          I've contacted winternals.
                          This is the answer:
                          Although NTFS will allow you to use file sizes over 4GB, it is
                          still more or less impossible under Win9x, since that is a Win9x limitation. NTFS for Win98 will not change this Windows limitation, even though you will be able to use NTFS partitions.

So the problem still goes on.
                          Regards
                          Gandi
                          Only fools have fun

Comment

Dear Fred
                            Thanks very much for the information. It works quite well.
                            When I use AVI I have an audiosignal on both PC and television. But when I use MPEG the audiosignal do not arrive on the TV. Do you have idea why this happens?
                            In your response you talked about VT 1.52. Can you explain what it is?
                            By the way the color changing on TV did not arrive.
                            Best regards
                            Gandi
                            Only fools have fun

Comment

Working...
                            X