Promise Ultra100TX2 worth upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise Ultra100TX2 worth upgrading?

I have the older Promise Ultra66 card in my system right now. It has bus issues where it causes noise in the audio when capturing video. The only way to fix it was tun Ultra66 cards down to 33. That somewhat defeats the purpose of the card, but I really got it to have more IDE devices. Anyhoo a local shop is selling the Ultra100TX2 Retail Box for $37 US (or $31.50 for OEM). Would it be worth it to upgrade from the 66 to the 100 if I'm planning on getting an UDMA100 drive in the near future?

Also if I do buy the new card what would be the best way to put in the new card and take out the old?

Thanks
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

TnT, I would think it never hurts to have additional functionality for the future as long as the new hardware is compatible with your existing stuff. The price isn't too bad since you can take it home today. Of course the Ultra100TX2 can be had for under $30 on web purchase.

As for the install, first, make sure you have drivers for the new device on floppy or CD and your OS install disk, just in case the install needs it. Then it should be as simple as shutting down, properly installing the new card and cables, boot back up and follow the instructions to install the drivers and reboot.

Comment

Working...
    X