Need help with avi files!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with avi files!

My mediaplayer sudenly stoped to play all kinds of avi files it just opens the mediaplayer and then shuts it down imediatly!

I have divx_3.11alpha , indeo (latest ver) and divx4 (?) installed and are using mediaplayer 6.4 (all updates) runing w2k Advance server!

Any sugestions to where I should start looking for the problem?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Hmm after some more checkig it seems the problem is only with divX files!

Any sugestions are welcome!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Try uninstalling both codecs and then reinstalling DivX4 (newest realease) and it should help. Since both codecs use the same FourCC identifier it could be causing some kind of conflict.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Is there a divx 311 alpha uninstaler prog or do I have to do it manualy?

Comment

NOt 100%, but I think that there should have been. If not, then you may have to do it manually in the Drivers32 section of your system.ini file. If you are running a 9x system then use MSCONFIG and uncheck the div... associations. You may be able to do something in multimedia tools also, not sure either. I don't have it instaled yet since this is a fresh build about 2 hours old.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Originally posted by Sciascia
            Try uninstalling both codecs and then reinstalling DivX4 (newest realease) and it should help. Since both codecs use the same FourCC identifier it could be causing some kind of conflict.
            I don't think that this is the solution. I have both codecs installed and they can coexist happily beneath each other, here.

I have DivX4 configured to playback all DivX content, however.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Uninstaled and reinstaled divx4 and I got some of the files to work again the rest just play the sound! Any other option than to install agelpotion 4 to fix this (I now it will fix it but I don't like that solution)?

Comment

BTW Sciascia I'm runing w2k Advance server! (No msconfig)

Comment

Have you configured DivX4 to playback all DivX content on install?
                  My System
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                    Have you configured DivX4 to playback all DivX content on install?
                    Yes!

I get a "Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. (Error=80040200)" and then it only plays the sound!
                    Last edited by Guru; 20 August 2001, 15:43.

Comment

So are those DivX files that are failing your own encoded ones or did you get them from the net?
                      There are some DivX-vids on the net that are encoded with the Angelpotion codec and won't be displayed wit the normal DivX codec because they have a wrong FourCC at the beginning.
                      The actual file is compatible so all you have to do is change the FourCC to "div3", "div4" (DivX3.x low- / fastmotion, respectively) or "divx" (for DivX4 content) - yes DivX3 and DivX4 have in fact different FourCCs.
                      There is some tool that does just this (change those four bytes), but I don't know where to download it.
                      It can however be done with VirtualDub, just check the extended options on the load-dialog and you'll be able to override the files FourCC.
                      My System
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Will give it a try tomorow thanx!

Comment

Just found the FourCC changer on my HD and uploaded it at http://www.indiana.claranet.de/avic100.zip . It's only 138KB.

However I never tried this tool myself, so use at your own risk.
                          My System
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

If You are having trouble playing back DivX 3.1 files, then reinstall divx 3.1 codec, then install DivX 4.0 codec and choose latter NOT to play all DivX content.

Once You have installed DivX 4, You can't uninstall DivX 3 in usual way, 'cause DivX 4 overwrites DivX 3 uninstall information in registry.

Comment

GURU

The best thing that I can suggest is to get rid of angelpotion. It has a really bad reputation of causing system problems. The new DivX 4 has an option during install to change all of your FourCC headers during install, or atleast associate it with the new codec. I have a bunch of stuff encoded with new and older Divx codecs and they all playback fine (better than 3.11).

I am not sure about the link to the info on Angelpotion, but I tried it a while back and it hosed up a lot of stuff and the quality was poor. I uninstalled and it still hung onto my system. I forgot how I got rid of it, but it was a real pain. I installed 3.11 and it worked great. Now I am sticking with DivX4 (the newest version, though they are coming out almost daily with bug fixes).

Comment

Working...
                              X