Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay or Nay on IE6?

Hello,

Is there anyone out there doing editing that has been using IE6 ? I'm concerned that the install loads a funky version of WMP, DirectX, or similar.

Anything?

Thanks
    Yay
    0%
    Nay
    0%

I tried it out and did not like it. The personal bar is more of a pain than it is worth and the little media player embedded in it just irritates me. There is no way to get rid of it either. And it seemed to be alittle corrupted in the display. It did not hose my system, but that doesn't mean tht it wouldn't hose another. IE 5.5 seems to be a little "trimmer" if that is possible since it is a big bugger itself, so just imagine...

I didn't find any revolutionary new capabilities and what it did offer was not useful in my opinion. It is still in beta I believe so that would worry me a little as well.

I wouldn't waste my time with it again.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

It is no longer beta, it's officially released.

5.5 works for me. I haven't seen any great new features that are worth the risk of a new install.

Comment

Netscape Communicator 4.7 only !!! (It is less unsecure than any combination of IE/Outlook)
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

All my prior experiences with Microsoft has taught me to wait until ANY software they have is followed by a .1 or an a. There are plenty of other "Gotta be first" types that will work out the bugs.
          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Downloaded and installed it and everything seems to work just fine

Actually, it looks exactly the same as IE 5.5 on my PC and under Win2k. Had to check the version number just to make sure that I have IE6, after reading all the horror stories....
              Harald

Comment

Interestingly, at the time of writing, 159 have visited this thread and 10 have polled. It can be assumed that some will have visited more than once, to see what the consensus is. So, let's reduce the 159 to an arbitrary 100. That makes 10% of the visitors having actually polled. What does the other 90% represent?
                • Those who have no opinion
                • Those who do not know what IE6 offers
                • Those who can't be bothered to click a button
                • Those who use other browsers
                • Those whose machines are so attacked by bugs and viruses because IE is so vulnerable
                • Those who prefer to remain in the silent majority
                • ?????????

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian, maybe those are the ones that can't be bothered to install anything from M$ until it's really safe that it won't (as usually...) trash your whole system to a point where only a full reinstall helps.
                  And someone that hasn't installed IE6 naturally can't vote - but he'll lurke for new posts / poll results to see if it could be worth the risk.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Did a custom install - did NOT choose to bring in a new Media Player (I'm sticking with 6.4). Works good and has a few improved features over 5.5.

Athlon 1.4 GHz, Iwill KK266, 512mb pc-133, Millennium G400 32MB DH, RainbowRunner-G, WD 20gig 7200rpm, Imation IMW040420 CD-RW, .357 Smith & Wesson

Comment

Not a nay but hardly a yea, that's why I didn't vote. More a blah. At least it didn't hose my system like the beta did. I run win2k, at home with WMP6.4 and it didn't downgrade it to WMP 7 (a bloated slow piece of shit if you ask me)
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Here's a semi related question. I used to have an option in one of my older IE installs to zoom in on a picture on a webpage. It was really useful for getting some detail on stuff, but I haven't been able to fugure out what to install to get it back. It may have been some plugin, but I can't remember what it was.

As for my stance on IE6, I still didn't find anything that was worth the upgrade.
                        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Working...
                        X