No announcement yet.

Converting MJPEG to MPEG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "noise" is individual pixels that change between pictures. The MPEG encoding will see this as a motion, and when there's a lot of motion you either get a degraded picture or need a higher bitrate. Som of the filters will spot these pixels and adjust them.

Comment

Well after playing around again, I still find the best quality is achieved by letting the Panasonic encoder do the hard work. At a total data rate of 3000kbits/sec the quality is not bad at all. I have messed around with virtualdub but not got any better results.

I think it is probably the best I am going to get if I insist on capturing my files as MJPEG first..

Andrew

Comment

Sportive,

You're using 3000 kbits/sec which I believe explains our difference of opinion. For my purposes I'm to be constrained to VCD data rates which are a good bit less than this, unless Doc comes thru with some recipes for "miniDVDs" and a few DVD players that'll read 'em.

I've tried filtering at the maximum setting. Didn't make the pulsations go away, didn't see them with GoMotion or AVI2MPEG but these were "lower quality" overall. No easy solution I'm afraid.

At some point you either accept the quality you are getting or forget about MPEG and VCDs. For me its looking like forget about it.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
        X