No announcement yet.

Req: to Athlon owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Soundblaster PCI-64 and a Realtek NIC on my new ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard. All sharing interrupts, running under Windows 2000 ACPI.

Both components were unusable on my two previous motherboards under Win98SE (both boards were from Gigabyte, one BX-type and one VIA 694x-type) where they caused clicking sounds whenever I stressed the PCI bus too high (huffyuv/picvideo). I had to resort to an ISA soundcard to get it working.

They both work perfectly well now on this new board! The CUSL2-C is one terrific motherboard. Rock steady and enormous PCI bandwidth. I had to disable busmastering on my Marvel G-200, though, to get stable capturing, but that's a driver issue.
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Not to get off topic here, but uh.... I found something called an AMD miniport driver for AGP, ver 522. Now, it says that it is for AMD processorss and AGP port problems, and is for all chipsets.

Question is do you think that the VIA 4-in1 drivers have this integrated into their miniport drivers?

I'll install it, but I'm not 100% on whether I should use it or not.

Here is the link All the way to the right, caled Win 2000 AGP Patch or something.
      Last edited by Sciascia; 22 September 2001, 02:46.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

the AMD miniport driver is only meant for motherboards with an AMD northbridge on them, and the AMD AGP Patch for Win2k is indeed for all AMD K7 platforms

Comment

dZeus,

Got a link to the AMD AGP Patch?

I've an Athelon 700 (Asus K7M) that is my test/junker system, its not given me a lick of trouble running W2K with an ADS Pyro and Matrox G450. I've installed and tested MSP6, MSP6.5 upgrade, Premiere 6 and Vegas Video and used them enough to get confidince they work and don't break each other before installing "for real" on my PIII-850 editing machine. I don't recall ever installing such a patch, although its possible I did, and promptly forgot about it.

--wally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sciascia
            Not to get off topic here, but uh.... I found something called an AMD miniport driver for AGP, ver 522. Now, it says that it is for AMD processorss and AGP port problems, and is for all chipsets.

Question is do you think that the VIA 4-in1 drivers have this integrated into their miniport drivers?

I'll install it, but I'm not 100% on whether I should use it or not.
            Don't install it!! It's for AMD (and here the CHIPSET is meant, NOT the CPU). You have a VIA chipset so of course VIA hasn't included it (and doesn't need to). The VIA 4in1 contains the VIA AGP driver that is needed for the VIA chipset(s) while the AMD AGP miniport driver is solely meant for the AMD chipset. It can really srew up yur system having the AMD agp miniport running on the VIA northbridge (and vice-versa).

BTW, this is what makes installation on "mixed" AMD/VIA mobos such a mess: On a VIA system all you need is the VIA 4in1. On a AMD system you only need AMDs software package.
            But on those AMD/VIA combos you have to UNcheck the AGP driver when you install VIAs 4in1 package. Then install the AMD agp miniport (and only this).
            Last edited by Indiana; 22 September 2001, 08:07.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

I installed the patch on the previous install, but did not do it on this one. I figure that the VIA AGP driver was different and the miniport AGP from AMD was for the mixed MB's or AMD 760 chpsets (thanks to some of you guys pointing me in the right direction). I checked the MS knowledge base and it said that the AGP patch was for all chipsets using an AMD CPU. It also specified this is a problem with Matrox G400 vidcards. I went ahead and did the reg hack myself manually, so that I can just go in and rip it out if I get some problems, but so far so good.

I'll let you all know.
              Last edited by Sciascia; 22 September 2001, 08:08.
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Looks like lots of confusion about which "patches" are needed for what systems.

What a sorry state of affairs the computer business is in.

Before installing anything, always remember: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

--wally.

Comment

I agree, but like I said this is the first time that I've fooled around with AMD for a while (about 4 years) and I had all kinds of problems. Granted they have a lot more support in the SW area now, but there are always some little things that have to be done, especially if the OS does not support the chipset right off the bat, such as Win2k and the KT133a CS.

If it ain't broke don't fix it is good, but in this case you have to know how to put it together in the first place, or else it will be broke before you can use it.

Update...everything looks good so far.

Comment

Working...
                  X