mpeg1/mpeg2 editors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mpeg1/mpeg2 editors...

so I am dubbing a show I like to watch from directv called bluetorch tv. its an extreme sports broadcast (surfing, skakeboarding, motocross etc...) compliments fox sports net. anyway, since I am not creating my own origional movie or show yet, nor do I have the system resources to edit with premiere 6 (raid scsi disk array, dual processor etc...) I want to capture in mjpeg using the matrox marvel g400tv and immediately compress to mpeg1 to fit aproximately a 1 hour show less the commercials onto cdrom, or if its something I really like, I want to compress to mpeg2 immediately and edit out the commercials and save the raw mpg files to cdrom. this way I can easily output to vcd/svcd later with my raw mpg a/v stream. with that said, does anyone have a recommendation on decent mpeg1/mpeg2 editors? and does someone have a better method for doing this sort of dubbing? so far I have found 1 company called mediaware solutions who make the professional m1-edit pro/m2-edit pro software packages(http://www.mediaware.com.au/products.html)

much thanks and praise in advance:P

sysconfig:
    os: win98se (win2k or linux possibly if I can work out some issues)
    mainboard: abit kt7a
    processor: amd athlon750 tbird
    ram: 384pc133 crucial micron
    videocard: matrox marvel g400 tv
    scsi controller: symbios wide scsi pci (40meg/sec)
    hard drives: system disk-ibm 10k 9.1gig sca to widescsi, capture drive-hitachi 18.2gig sca to widescsi
    cdr: 2 or 4 plexwriter 4/12 drives (depends on what I am doing)
    soundcard: turtlebeach santacruz
    modem: dsi3536 pci modem
    monitor: ibm p70 17inch crt
    floppy: teac

Last edited by Hpar_; 20 September 2001, 14:52.

You have enough to use Premiere or MSPro 6.5. Sheesh, I was using both with old Pentium's and AMD K6's. MSPro 6.5 handles memory better and has a built-in MPEG encoder.

You can save some bux by trimming the clips in the freeware VirtualDUB program;

You can encode *.avi files to MPEG using the TMPGEnc encoder. It produces very high quality MPEG's.

TMPGEnc,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc

Just make sure you also install the VFAPI plugin. It provides file readers.

As you may or may not know your G400 can be put into its DVDMAX mode which will export about anything DirectShow can play to the vidout.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

if you edit with adobe premiere 6.0 doesnt that mean you have to manipulate gigabytes of data vs if you edit mpeg1 which is only several hundred megs? what if I edit using ulead media studio 6? the last time I tried to use premiere 6 it kept locking on me. maybe that was also related to the sblive.

Comment

Premiere locking or being otherwise finicky is not that unusual. It may be popular but that doesn't mean it's stable out of the box. Getting it to work in that manner sometimes takes careful tweaking of your system an a fresh Windows installation with nothing but editing software installed.

MSPro, on the other hand, tends to be quite stable out of the box with a wider variety of hardware configurations. That's why the majority of folks here tend to use it instead of Premeire.

Also, you don't need zillions of megs to edit video. Editors work in kind of a proxy mode, just loading in thumbnails of each displayed frame instead of the whole video sequence. I've edited two hours of video many times with only about 128 megs. Now....make no mistake, 512 megs works smoother but it isn't absolutely *necessary*.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

hi. a buddy of mine has ulead media studio pro 6.0 and I was going to borrow it from him to see how good it works. is 6.0 ok to use or is it ridden with bugs?

Comment

It's MPEG module uses the older Ligos encoder, which is not very good. With the addition of the DVD Plugin it's much better though since this updates Ligos.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Is it better than the CCE mpEGG encoder?
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I also found out that the mPEGG 2.50 won't work with the Athlon...crap. I went and found the updated version and the demo seems to work fine. Of course I would like more than 30 seconds of encoding. It is really fast (part better programming, part faster PC). I guess that I will have to try to buy this thing again, since my previous attemps failed miserably. It is only available on the Japnese website and every time I tried to buy it legite, it did not work. Oh well...

I also found a limnk to a plugin called NEC MPEG encoder on their site. Never heard of it and I can't find any info. Anyone else heard of this?
                WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Working...
                X