Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frame based / Field order / Firewire capture ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, dgcom!

Five months ago I have asked Ligos support to do something with field order. They answered that they know this problem and will correct it in ... 2-3 months. Well, we have some time before next millenium

The technique you decribed works, but it involves one recompression step. If you make vbr mpeg2 from original movie and from new one, with reversed field order, the datarate of "corrected movie" will be higher, thus indicating that DV recompression is not perfect process. It also takes time and disk space.
    If you make uncompressed RGB24 movie, you'll get original datarate from mpeg video after compression.

However, if you set the same encoding parameters, but force lsx to make mpeg1 file, you will get same datate and quality as in the case of mpeg2 (actually the encoding settings are common for both formats), but correct field order!
    Such movie is played well in software, and with hardware decoder like Hollywood+. You have to use single B frame between I or P frames to escape hardware decoder picture distortions with mpeg1. By all other features the picture is very good.
    I also found that Panasonic encoder with turned off prefiltering gives better quality than even lsx with vbr.
    So, I do not see any reason to tie myself to mpeg2, until there would be definitely mpeg2 encoder, but not their mpeg1-based imitations, like lsx encoder.

Of course, I can multiplex mpeg1 video into mpeg2 stream and get "valid mpeg2", which now takes much more CPU power and requires third-party decoder .
    But what is the reason to do this?

As for deinterlacing, this is the only way to make acceptable movie for PC screen. Another way is to extract fields, create 50 fps movie and compress it into mpeg. It is possible with Premiere to write transition factory transition and produce 1/2 speed movie that contains all fields resized to full height. Then, use VirtualDub to change fps to 50 (or 60 for NTSC). Then you compress the movie into mpeg and get smooth motion video. The drawback is that you loose half of vertical resolution for still pictures.
    50 FPS D1 size mpeg movies can be played on 500 MHz PC. They really preserve the smooth motion of original video. However, the datarate must be doubled for them.

Caution: not every third-party Premiere plugin can work with fields. Some of them just apply transitions to one half of frame, and leave another half black. Another may simply crash. The example is huge memory leak in lense flare filter of Premiere 4.2, when it is used in field rendering.

Grigory

Comment

Hi!

Regarding recompression. I was talking about the way you are making your movie. If it is done already, changing field order will require additional recompression, but if it is still on your timeline in Video Editor - you are going to export it to a single file anyway.

Regarding MPEG compression. The flag top_field_first can be set for MPEG-2 video stream ONLY. Actually, this bag in Ligos encoder makes their compressed strean non-compliant with MPEG-2 specifications. I posted detailed explanation on Ligos forum.
      That's why MPEG-1 streams works with correct field order.
      If you are compressing full D1 resolution video, MPEG-2 can give you much higher quality. Espesially, if you use good encoder. Try, for example, new VBR MPEG-2 encoding in bbMPEG. You can also set it to compress separate fields, which is a big plus, available in MPEG-2. Ligos is the only compressor, which does not support field encoding in MPEG-2 as far as I know.
      My tests shows, that correct, VBR, field-based MPEG-2 compression of DV video can produce excelent results!

DGCom
      DGCom

Comment

Hi,

It is not such evident as you say. I tried to make field/frame encoding with another encoder - PixelTools MpegRepair. It is also based (inside) on the same ISO code, and works slow. The difference is that it supported vbr long before bbmpeg, and has some advanced features.
        With vbr with fixed quantization matrix, the movie size/quality did not change with switching to field encoding. This was a surprize for me. I expected that field-based encoding can give noticeable advantage in either quality or datarate, but this is not correct.
        I'll make experiments with bbmpeg too, but I am 90% sure that they will be about the same.

Anyway, Panasonic mpeg1 with D1 size and 5-6 mbit/sec gives me much better video than all other encoders.
        I use D8 camcorder and DV Raptor, so typically I don't need to render all movie. I only make some transitions and effects that take 10% of movie duration.
        In "capture to reference AVI" mode, DV raptor creates several files with .00x extension and short avi with sound and small portion of video inside. Rendered movie is an avi file that contains sound and only changed parts of video. So, I can make many versions of say 4 GB movie, 400 MB each. In the case of field order inversion, I have to wait 9 times longer and decide how to store huge output files. Plugins like Panasonic plugin can easily solve this problem.

As for bbmpeg, it has some very good features that are not available with other encoders. But, because it is x20 slower than Panasonic encoder, the time spent in adjustment of encoding parameters becomes too long... So, practically it is better to use fast encoder and try several settings instead of using some "generic" parameters with slower encoder.

Grigory

Comment

How did you view your frame-encoded video?

If using Software DVD player, agree, it won't be much different - it will automatically deintelace it during playback.
          But if you'll manage to use hardware DVD decoder card connected to TV... Sure, motion should be better in this case.

And, yes, for Canopus users it's a big pain to rerender whole new avi file to use different MPEG compressor - that's what about problems in Ligos codec. This is different for OHCI-compatable cards users (at least now, until plug-in for direct timeline playback will be out) - they have to render to single AVI for output to camcorder.
          But for both types it's the same if you are making MPEG using built-in Ligos compressor. If it can correctly support field-based coding or, at least, don't set top_field_first to 1, it may be Ok. It is Ok now if you are making MPEG-1. Otherwise - you endup with using other program like bbMPEG and rendering whole project to AVI first.

I used newer version of PixelTools ExpertDVD 1.561 - gives nice quality, but slow...

DGCom
          DGCom

Comment

Working...
          X