Mystiq 220 + RR-S ? keep it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystiq 220 + RR-S ? keep it?

Im upgradeing my computer, and I really want to keep my mystiq 220 + RR-S, The Marvel is so expensive. But i play games, so i would like a AGP graphics card too. Is there anyway to have a AGP card (like the matrox g400 32mb) and the mystiq 220 + rr-s and "only" use it to grab video? like the AGP is my primary card or something and the mystiq 220+rr-s my secondary? a spliter?

Boy, that is a good one.

Theoretically with Win98/Win98SE you should be able to use the Mystique as the second video display adaper to another Matrox card.

As to if a RRS attached to it would work as intended; that is an excellent question. My suspicion is no. Maybe Haig could clarify this.

If the answer is no then I'd consider scrounging parts to use it in a small editing only system. Nothing huge; maybe a C300 in a mini case, a small boot drive and a decent capture drive. Then you could get a G400MAX for the game system and eat cake too ;-)

Those old Rainbow Runners do real nice video. I still have two up & running and on the network. You'd be suprised how often they get used when the big systems are busy rendering 3D or long F/X sequences.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 19 April 2000).]

Comment

Hi I,m using a mystique 220 and RRs with a diamond monster 3d card .the mystique is the primary( I think ) ,win98se and they both seem to work perfectly.
      Just thought I'd share the info
      smitty

Comment

You can use your rrs and a agp card together.
        I use mine with an g400 16mb with great sucess. You can even use the non primary card for multi monitor. Now when you install them you have to go into your bios and select primary device(or some such depending on your mb) your options will be agp or pci.
        When intalling drivers eg. your new agp card, go into device manager and dissable the card that is not being used(your pci) then install drivers. Also applies for the other way around(I don't know how many times I fogot about this, and spent wasted time trying to get my rr drivers to install, utill I remembered to dissable my agp card, then the drivers install as normal) when all your drivers are in then you can go to device manager and enable both and all will be fine. Now you won't be able to use the features of the non primary card, except as extended desktop. eg. If you select pci as primary in bios(your 220 and rainbow runner) you can use it, but you won't be able to use the rad 3d of your new agp card. Same goes if you select agp as primary you will be able to play games but won't be able to capture with the rr. So just switch back and forth in your bios. Also don't worry if the cards are assigned the same irq as the computer will not be making calls on both at once. Mine have always shared and no probs.

------------------
        Damnit Jim I'm a film maker, not a systems tech!
        Damnit Jim I'm a film maker, not a systems tech!

Comment

Have you considered picking up a Voodoo2 card? They are still around and do a fair job with most games. I am not the most avid gamer but what games I do run look ok to me. Another thought is to look for a used Quantum 3D voodoo2 card. I seem to recall that some of their higher end models were AGP cards and did not use the traditional pass-through cable that reference designed boards used. This aided the picture quality output considerably. The AGP versions of these cards never really caught on since 2D/3D card combos appeared shorthly after and killed the idea. In your case this would be a good solution. I have seen these cards go for $30 - $60 on Ebay. This may not be the most contemporary solution but one that should fill the bill for you.
          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

There ya go. Solutions ala' carte ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X