Splitting an MPEF file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting an MPEF file

I have an MPEG-1 file I'd like to split at "chapter" boundaries, without re-encoding any of the file. What do people recommend for something like this?

MSP DVD plugin or Ulead DVD Factory should work to "author" the disk. It won't actually produce *.mpg files from the cuts on your hard drive.

You can download a fully functional 30-day trial of DVD Factory from Ulead's website. Sorry I don't have a URL handy.

--wally.
    Last edited by wkulecz; 5 November 2001, 10:10.

Comment

Womble MPEG2VCR sounds like exactly what you need. If you just want to split the file then it does it without recompression. It is lightning fast and is free for MPEG1. MPEG2 costs you some bucks, but for what you want it is the best option in my opinion.

sorry but the darn http:// thingy dorked up twice
      Last edited by Sciascia; 5 November 2001, 10:19.
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I looked at Womble MPEG1VCR, and couldn't see how to use it to split a file. The closest I got (RECORD) seems to require you to purchase the tool, and it's not at all clear that it won't re-encode that way (you have to set the MPEG parameters for the recording).

Am I missing something simple with the Womble tool, or can someone suggest another tool to split MPEG-1 files?

Comment

Other options which I know work well are IFilm Edit (best choice for MPEG1 IMHO) and Vitec Mpeg2Pro (great for MPEG2 and works well with MPEG1 also).

Rob.

Comment

Tmpgenc has a feature call cut and join which is fast and easy to use. It's hidden in the "mpeg tools" under the file menu. From my research (I've tried everything mentioned here and more) this tool is the only way to go. In fact, Tmpgenc should be the first place you check for anything that needs to be done in the world of MPEG.

Comment

Thanks. I used TMPGEnc to encode the file I want to split in the first place; I didn't think to look under the MPEG tools tab.

Comment

Working...
              X