Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS Pro 6.5 and audio dropouts back to DV tape, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Pro 6.5 and audio dropouts back to DV tape, suggestions?

I'm getting audio dropouts upon exporting my project back to my dv camcorder. They are random in location, I have checked this. The project is about 52 minutes long and the dropouts occur maybe once a minute on average. Sometimes none for three minutes then 3 in a minute.

I've checked all the power management settings. Made sure hard drives stay on, monitor etc.

I did not have this problem with MS Pro 6.0 btw.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

What is a good video/editing card for tv out?

My system:

PIII 850 on BX board
    512 RAM
    Primary drive Maxtor 40 plus
    Secondary WD 45 GB
    Soundblaster Live!
    ATI AIW 128

Thanks,

Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

What 1394 card are you using? or are you doing analog recording with the DV cam?

I'm sure Doc will pop in with SB Live! horror stories.

I recently did a 1hr 26min project with MSP6.5 and didn't notice any audio problems, but its possible I wasn't listening carefully enough. I've sent two tapes out for approval before getting 50 produced so if anything is wrong I should hear about it soon!

I've come to the conclusion that analog TV out has a hard time matching what you can get from DV back thru the camcorder. Add far fewer driver hassles, IMHO ~$50 1394 card vs. $250+ for an analog editing card and I'd say buying something like the DVMC-DA2 at ~$300 would make more sense now than an analog editing card even if you don't yet have a DV cam.

--wally.

Comment

I'm using the Pyro 1394 card.

I'm simply trying to record my dv project back to dv tape via 1394.

I knew there would be mention of the Live!, but I don't even think I'd need a sound card in my computer to complete this operation.

DVMC-DA2 What is this?

Is there a relatively inexpensive 1394 card that has decent analog out? It would be nice to make tapes directly from my computer, not having to go through my Optura Pi.

Thanks,

Mark
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I'm mystified. I use the ADS Pyro, but don't use a SB Live! card.
        I have a PIII-800 on ASUS P2B BX chipset and G450.

Pull it and try the DV export, if the audio becomes good you've found the problem. I admit its a long shot.

Post your project settings so we can see if anything is different. There are some audio interleave settings that I don't fully understand the purpose of wrt to DV.

The Sony DVMC-DA2 is a 1394 A/D and D/A converter. You can hook up a VCR and record analog to DV and vice-versa. It costs a couple hundred dollars less than the bottom of the line D8 camcorder that will do A/D and D/A pass-thru.

--wally.

Comment

My project settings:
          NTSC drop frame (29.97 fps)
          Frame-based
          Overlay track(s):3
          Microsoft AVI Files
          24 Bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
          DV Video Encoder -- type 1
          DV Audio -- NTSC, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo

I shoot progressive with my Optura Pi, that's why the frame based setting. It's nice because my video looks good on TV and on the computer screen. No interlacing artifacts.

I need a video card that can do TV Out full screen, no black border. I like my ATI AIW 128 for the great tuner but the TV Out is really bad. Any suggestions for a video card with good TV out?

Mark
          - Mark

Comment

Can a Matrox g450 w/TV Out or g450 eTV be set (DVD max or whatever setting) so that when media player plays a dv clip the clip plays through the tv out? If so, how is the tv out quality of such a clip? I know that the rendering of most computers playing DV clips isn't very good.

How is the above output playing a MPEG II clip, assuming the clip is clean?

Thanks,

Mark
            - Mark

Comment

The Matrox DualHead cards (even the non-capture ones) do that nicely and the quality of the output is pretty much dependent on the quality of the file.

IF you don't want to lose your AGP card there is a G450 PCI card that might well work as a secondary adapter.

I use DVDMAX with field based scaling set to fill the frame.

If you have an SVHS deck and use S-Video it works REAL nice, even with VHS tapes.

Yes, the SBLive is a royal PIA.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 November 2001, 07:15.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've not yet seen a TV out better than the D450 DVDmax feature, but DV over 1394 back thru the camcorder is clearly better to my eye.

I've no experience with progressive DV recordings. What is your audio interleave setting? Not that I can tell you what it "should" be, but it its different might be a clue.

File a bug report with Ulead since it worked with MSP6.

--wally.

Comment

Audio dropout every minuite +/- ? Video drive on sec master?

Is there a CD/DVD drive on the sec. slave? If so its auto insert checking might interrupt the output of the video drive just long enough to cause a problem.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc -

Do you think a PCI g450 would play nice with my ATI AIW?

If that doesn't work I'm thinking of the g450 etv. How is the TV out on that one?

I'm also thinking of a SVHS VCR as you suggest. Are you saying to use normal VHS tape but record in SVHS mode? Is the quality better even when played back on a non SVHS deck?

Thanks so much for the info.

I have another project coming up and think it may be time to upgrade the gear. I'm almost breaking even with this video editing addiction I have!
                    - Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X