Recommended camcorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended camcorders

can any one recommend any good digital camcorders that are under $2000 canadian.
    Also I would like some input on the visual quality of a digital cam. Is it very good quality, and would i be able to use it for doing chromakey with after effects

I don't know what the exchange rate is, but if you don't look at the Canon Elura you're nuts. A friend of mine has one and it's terriffic.

It's VERY small, has optical image stabilization, an excellent lens (it's a Canon afterall...), manual exposure and also uses a Progressive Scan CCD. All very good stuff. Best of all, the images are gorgeous.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi,

If you can save just a bit more money and buy the Canon GL1, you can actually check it out at Henry's located HENRY'S on 119 CHURCH
      TORONTO, ON, M5C 2G5, (416) 868-0872 (that's if you live in Toronto hehe)

Otherwise the Canon Elura is a good choice too.
      Your best option is to go to a Camera store and check out some of these new digital cams and see for yourself what's best for you.

Regards,
      Elie

Comment

I went with the JVC DVF11. I got it for 900 canadian. The new models were coming out so I got it fire sale at Future Shop. I was checking out the latest panasonic and cannon as well. The JVC although last years model uses the same electronics as this years(identical). My model had not serial connect or software, which was good as I needed to buy a firewire card and the bundled software is so amature, so that saved me $300 over the next model up. The JVC also had manual controlls for white balance, exposure ect. The panasonic had only multiple auto settings. As you go up the price scale you will get bigger Lcd and memory stick options for more convieient still photos, mine stores photos on tape.(acceptable as I didn't buy it for tons of snaps). The next step up the ladder is progressive scan CCD. Now in spite of DR.Morbids salesman ship(HI DOC) this is an iffy feature unless you demand it. Usefull for slow golf swing stuff, ect. (as cannon literature states, it is for clear stills from full motion video)If you are making movies you will not be using the progressive scan mode you will use the movie mode which is not progressive scan and therefor puts p-scan camera on an even playing field with non. If you are using cromma key for stills exclusively than progressive scan would probably be a good idea. If your doing video you will want a fire wire card so don't forget this in the price equation. If you want premiere, after effects compatability(uses a different codec) then compatable cards cost more. The most reccomended by far. Will put you back $690 canadian(no software. I shopped hard and long and got tons of opionions and checked out all the cams in person. I went with the jvc because the picture quality and feature were so far ahead for its price I could not say no. The cannons were very nice cameras but head to head I couldn't justify the price, as progressive scan was not used in their movie mode leaving it visualy identical. If you get rich quick do go for a 3 ccd camera though. But good studio lighting and my $900 can, JCV is making me grin ear to ear ;-)

------------------
        Damnit Jim I'm a film maker, not a systems tech!

Comment

In regards to fire wire cards I ment to say DV Raptor.

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X