DV Codec and MJPeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Codec and MJPeg

I have just purchased an ieee 1394 (TI based OHCI) card and plan to record and input some footage later this week from a hired camera.

Just before I start, I have read in a number of places that the MS DV codec is not the best.

What DV codecs are the best?

Also I plan to edit it with some MJPeg footage from a S-vhs camera, any obvous problems I am walking into?

It is all destined for VHS and MPEG1 so the higher resolution of DV shouldn't matter.

More like an hints or issues eg: "reduce brightness on MJPeg capture to match DV" or "Ulead MSP crashes with both DV and Matrox MJPeg so convert all MJPeg to DV first" - I have no idea if either of those is true, I have just made them up but anything along those lines if there are problems others have experienced with these two different formats would be appriciated.

Thanks

The latest version of MSDV works pretty well, certainly much better than previous versions which were awful. You need to install DirectX8, 8a or 8.1 to get it.

If you use DirectX8 or 8a then you should also install the M$ Video Capture Update for DX8, which is on the DirectX download page.

If you're using DirectX 8.1 the Video Capture Update is built into it.

If you still need a better DV codec then Main Concept makes a good one which runs about $50 USD, but I'd try the latest MSDV first.

I've never had a problem mixing DV and Matrox's MJPeg on the same timeline, so whoever had that problem was likely looking at a config issue themselves.

As far as differences in brightntess go; DV is visually brighter and contrastier than MJPeg because of its higher luma level vs. chroma. As such I sometimes find it necessary to up the brightness and contrast of MJPeg when mixing formats, but not always. Check your material before doing it automatically.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2001, 07:02.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X