RT2000 + Asus P3V4X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2000 + Asus P3V4X

Has anybody here alread tried an Asus P3V4X in combination with a RT2000 card?

Is this a stable combination?

Other question: are there users around here who use a VIA based motherboard with a RT2000 card?

I know Matrox 'pushes' the P3BF as the post suited moterboard (in the asus brand) for the RT2000 card. In the mean time there are quite some new motherboards (via based) on the market with 133FSB which have not yet been tested by Matrox.
    Or perhaps they have, but did not communicate
    their results. (positive or negative)

All reactions are welcome!

The question is more like "Is the Asus P3V4X fully compatible with higher end graphics cards, whatever Windows, etc... ?"

Are you going to use the RT2K for productive work (making money), or just for fun ?

If you are getting it just for fun, and you have experience in troubleshooting your system and the OS, go ahead, give it a try.

But, if you intend to make money with the RT2K, and you don't have the time to spend troubleshooting the system, I would strongly advice you to follow Matrox advice and get the Asus P3B-F.

The motherboard is the MOST important component in the system, and when building a system for something as demanding as the NLE, you do not want to introduce unnecessary problems with "prototype" mobos.

The word is out, that the P3C motherboards (just like the early BX bords) do not have enough condensators to work properly with the higher end AGP cards, I would not be surpriced to find out the P3V4X to have similar problems.

Pertti

Comment

I'll second, third and fourth this motion.

The P3B-F is #1 on the Matrox hit parade for a damn good reason: it runs like a steam locomotive.

I started out using the Asus P3B-F (6 PCI slot version) with the RT-2000 and have not regretted it for a second. It's a fast, very stable board that allows truly effective IRQ sharing.

I do recommend potential P3B-F users, especially those expecting to use the Coppermine's, to update to the 1005 BIOS revision.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

I have the P3C2000 motherboard currently running the matro G400TV looking to upgrade to the RT2000 matrox. Is this going to be a problem?, with this motherboard.

Comment

Hi there . I am planning to get RT-2000 , but is wondering if i should get a Pentium3-600E@800EB . Can RT-2000 takes 89Mhz AGP Bus ??

Thanks .

Comment

As far as the P3C2000 board goes you might want to ask Matrox about that as I see nothing about it on the recommended list.

As for overlcocking: not if the PCI and AGP buses get overclocked too.

IF you have non-standard dividers on your board that allow standard PCI/AGP clocking things may be different, but generally Matrox heavily discourages overclocking because of this issue.

Part I;

The new FC-PGA Celeron 533a may present a better way to go. These 533 mhz Celerons are based on the .18 micron PIII Coppermine core and use a 66mhz bus & 8x multiplier. Reports are it can be reliably overcloced to 8x100mhz or 800mhz. Sheesh...

Since this 100mhz bus setting would allow normal PCI and AGP bus clocking it may work better for many O/C intolerant devices.

The only rub is that you'll need an adapter board that specifically supports FC-PGA chips and a compliant BIOS on the mainboard itself to use 'em in a Slot1 config.

Word is the FC-PGA C-533a will hit the street at well under $200.

The sucessor to the C-300a lives....

Part II;

To make things even more interesting AMD just announced a new line of processors: the "Duron".

The Duron is targeted straight at the Celeron/Celeron FC-PGA market, but with a 200mhz bus, full speed cache and the Athlon archetecture.

Here we go again....

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 04 May 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for your reply Doc .

Comment

Working...
              X