Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2500 & Marvel

Hi,

I had a G400 Marvel. Now I'm trying to add an RT2500. When I try to install the RT2500 video tools, it complains that a previous version of video tools was found and it says it is going to uninstall. The uninstall does work, however.

So, I tried manually uninstalling everything for the Marvel, using the Matrox uninstall utility. Then I reinstalled only the Power Desk drivers for the Marvel, not the video tools. Still, when I tried to install the RT2500 video tools, it complained about a previous version still being present.

Finally, I figured the Marvel must just be incompatible with the RT2500, so I went out and bought a G450 Dual Head card (without the "Marvel" part). Again, I used the Matrox uninstall utitlity to uninstall everything, then installed the latest drivers for the G450. Still, when I try to install the RT2500 video tools, it complains about a previous version which I can't seem to get rid of.

Now I'm digging through the registry, hoping I can find something in there that is making the RT2500 think there is still some remnant of video tools around...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Rick
    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

I just found something interesting on the Matrox tech support forums, posted by Haig himself:

If you ever do get the RT2500, you can still use the Marvel as the graphics card and also the video tools of the marvel in case you want to use the tv tuner when working on your pc. The only drawback is that you cannot have both sets of video tools running at the sametime.

Sounds like he is saying I should be able to use the RT2500 with my Marvel, as long as I don't try to run both sets of video tools at the same time!

Hmmmmmmm....

Rick

Comment

When I upgraded from my Marvel to my RT2000 I had a similar problem and it was because I had PicVideo MJPEG installed.

The RT2000 has it's own MJPEG codec (which is crap BTW) and it doesn't like another codec using the same four cc.

Unistall PicVideo, install MVT and then install PicVideo again forcing it to become the default MJPEG codec. Hope it works for you....

Rob.

Comment

RT-2x00's do not have an MJPeg codec, it uses DV and MPEG-2 only.

The MJPeg that is likely causing the conflict is the DirectShow filter built into DirectX8, which is indeed a piece of crap and does use the same MJPG fourCC PICVideo uses.

What's probably happening is that the RT-2500 installer ran a DirectX updater and that is what was complaining about PICVideo being in there.

As for using a Marvel G400 with the RT-2500;

install the RT-2500's video tools
        install Marvel's display driver
        install Marvel's video tools

Disable "Extend my windows desktop.." to use the Marvel video tools.

Enable "Extend my windows desktop.." to use the RT-2500 along with the graphics portion of the Marvel.

As far as the unsucessful installation goes, did you try emptying the TEMP folder before installing the RT-2500's software? You'd be suprised how often junk in there can trip up an installer.

Also make sure you're using the latest Matrox uninstaller. They have two on the download page, with the latest being dated May 16, 2001.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 January 2002, 19:24.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Okay, maybe I didn't say that very well... All I know is that when installing RT2K MVT if there's another codec using MJPG they won't install. I can say for sure that it wasn't anything to do with DirectX 8. In my case this was PicVideo - I am sure of that.

When you install the RT2K's software codecs on an non-RT2K machine it installs a MJPEG codec, which as I was trying to say is crap... I know the RT2K can't use MJPEG and on that machine I don't see the codec listed.

Anyway it's far too late and I'm off to bed...

Rob.

Comment

Rob,

I do have PIC MJPEG codec installed, I'll have to try to uninstall that and see what effect it has.

Doc,

I don't know what happened in Rob's case, but in my case, it's not getting as far as trying to install DirectX or anything else. It's right at the very beginning of the installation process that it comes up and says "a previous version of Matrox Video Tools was detected." Then it comes up with a prompt looking for a non-existant INSTALL.LOG file. Since I can't find any such file, all I can do is Cancel out, which then causes the installer to reboot the computer.

Rick

Comment

The INSTALL.LOG problem can be a bear.

Beyond using the PD Uninstaller after removing Premiere it gets ugly, often requiring a reformat and reinstallation.

A better option before doing that might be to get hold of an INSTALL.LOG from another user who has his setup on the same drive letter and OS then browse to it when prompted.

What OS are you using and what drive letter is it installed on? Maybe I can come up with one and you can give it a shot.....

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc,

You know, I was thinking along the same lines myself. I reinstalled W2K from scratch in a separate partition, and I was able to successfully install everything for the RT2500 there. So, I was thinking maybe there'd be an INSTALL.LOG file there that I could copy over to my normal W2K partition and see what would happen. I haven't actually tried it yet, however.

I'm using W2K, and even though I have different versions on different partitions, they always look like the C: partition because I use Partition Magic/Boot Magic.

Rick

Comment

There 'ya go

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 January 2002, 08:43.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc,

I booted up my new W2K partition where I was able to successfully install the RT2500 Video Tools. Then I tried searching for files named INSTALL.LOG. I found an "uninstall.log" for Quicktime. I found a few other files named INSTALL.LOG, but they were all on my E: drive, where I usually install software, in directories that belong to other software, not RT2500 Video Tools. So they obviously don't belong to the RT2500 Video Tools.

I see on the official Matrox forums that they (Matrox) have started handing out an official fix of some kind for this problem, so I asked them to e-mail it to me, too. Maybe that will do the trick?

In the mean time, I guess I can continue to play with the RT2500 in my new W2K partition.

Rick

Comment

Hi Rob & Doc,

Well, Matrox sent me their special "hotfix" that was supposed to fix this problem, but it didn't do $hit for me.

Then I tried uninstalling PIC Video MJPEG codec as Rob had suggested and now everything is fine!

Once again the MURC forums come through! I think I would have given up on NLE after I bought my first Rainbow Runner years ago if it weren't for this forum and the MUG lists!

Now, to try and figure out how to use Premiere to do anything useful...

Rick

Comment

I'm getting ready to install 3.1 on one of my Win2K drives soon. Want a copy of the INSTALL.LOG from it?

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc,

I guess it would be interesting to see if you get an INSTALL.LOG, since I didn't get one when I installed it in my fresh W2K partition.

Now that I know the problem is that the Matrox Video Tools don't want to install if PIC MJPEG codec is installed first, I guess I don't need an INSTALL.LOG anymore, but if you do get one, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of it just in case...

E-mail to: Rick@Hogans-Systems.com

Rick

Comment

You see... I wasn't making it up ;-)

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

Nope, you weren't kidding! You were 100% right!

Thanks!

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X