Live video mixing by computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live video mixing by computer

Anyone know a good hardware solution for video mixing by computer, real time, video-in straight to video-out? I'd rather avoid the switchers because they cost a bundle for a heap of transitions you don't even know if you want.

Example: <a href="http://www.chyron.com/">Chyron</a> makes a system called "Duet" for broadcast mixing. Has its own API for doing just about whatever you want. Price tag? $50,000. And it doesn't even do chroma key. There's got to be something cheaper.

Got any ideas, video pros out there? Who makes this stuff?

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 17 May 2000).]

Hey Fluggo,

This may or may not be quite what you have in mind, but the Videonics MX-1 does a good job of mixing live video for home/hobby productions. It has a built in TBC, zillions (well, lots) of effects (including chroma-key ), and has composite and S-video input/outputs. Our video club has one and it has been a favorite tool over the past few years.

There is a newer version of this mixer with DV capabilities, but it's a lot more money. You could probably pick up a used MX-1 for cheap from someone who has gone completely digital.

Comment

Yeah, I've worked with the MXPro before, but it ain't quite up to the task. I'm trying to emulate a transition someone did with a nonlinear editor; it involved two video sources, in separate windows with borders, against a background and overlaid with changing graphics in a corner. The windows swap order as they configure themselves in the above positions and as they move to fill the screen.

If I had my way, I'd have it all put in one system, but so far as I can tell, such a system does not exist. (sigh) I'd have half the puzzle solved if I even knew of a switcher with that kind of transition.

Comment

Working...
      X