No announcement yet.

Wally: glitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really, really, hope there is a fix other than replacing most of the DVD players already out there in people's homes.

Fry's, Microcenter, and Best Buy are selling these things and have good return policies. Pioneer has had two firmware updates since October, but no info as to what specific problems were addressed. Sony and Ricoh now have DVD+RW drives in the stores. I may try again in a couple of weeks when I get some free time.

--wally.

Comment

sony = hp = philips =ricoh...

All DVD+RW drives are currently manufactured by Ricoh.

I think you mentioned you tried the HP? In that case, trying other +RW drives won't change anything.

Neko

Comment

Bundled software might be different.

Firmware might be different.

Actually, I've little hope for DVD+RW as it has much farther to go in terms of compatability than DVD-R based on my tests.

IF every drive that accepted DVD-R disks played them back glitch free, we'd have our VHS replacement. Many more players flat out rejected DVD+RW. Players that glitched DVD-R also glitched DVD+RW so it wasn't "the solution", thus I put a lot less effort into testing DVD+RW, although it was "free" to purmute the possibilities because the disk was reusable, I found it lacking based on the number of players that rejected the disks.

I'll probably try the Panasonic DVD-R/DVD-RAM drive next, unless the new Hitachi hits the streets in the mean time.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
        X