Tutorial for MSP6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial for MSP6?

I'm a Marvel G200-TV user whose card, unfortunately, came with Avid Cinema. Because of this and a lack of adaquate storage I haven't actually done any editing on my system. I have access to Matrox Digisuites and Targa cards at work, so I never felt the need to get up and running. Well, the office has gotten busier and I need to do a little work so, armed with a new Ultra66 drive and a JVC SVHS deck I thought I would finally put my investment to work. I tried to get Premiere working with no luck and have already dismissed Avid, so I downloaded MSP 6 to try (the demo, that is). I've installed it and it is running, but now I am lost. I've used Premiere and Speed Razor before, but I can not figure Media Studio out. I was wondering if there was anything online that I could refer to (besides the fine Idiot's Guides for 5.2) that would keep me from having to use the help files for instruction. I am quite impressed with Ulead's product, but it is really different enough to confuse me quite a bit when it comes to some simple tasks. If I like it I might buy a copy. As it is I have a friend who wants to trade me the Avid Cinema for his MSP 5.2 VE from the early Marvel, so I could get an upgrade price, but I want to be able to use it first. I'll print out the 5.2 manual if it will help. Any ideas anyone?
    thanks,
    NotEd
    If you had a infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters one of them would eventually become head of Tech Support.

Abit BE6-II v1.1
    Intel Celeron 566@850
    Matrox G400 OEM 32MB DH
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    Maxtor 5.7 GB IDE Ultra33 System Drive
    Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-ROM
    Promise Ultra 66 with-
    Maxtor 30 GB Ultra66 Video drive
    Yamaha CDRW6416
    Adaptec 2940 U2W
    Windows 2000 SP2
    Generic LS-120 drive, Teac 3.5" Floppy

For using MSPro6 with a Matrox card first copy these settings to your c:\windows\ulead32.in file;

[HardwareAcc]
    NotSaveOpenDML=1

[Playback]
    RenderAudio=1

The Matrox drivers are not compatable with the OpenDML filesystem supported by MSPro6 and Windows98. This hack disables OpenDML in MSPro6 to set up a compatability mode.

Once this is done the Marvel works great with MSPro6.

The Ulead MSPro6 support pages have some tutorials but they aren't very comprehensive. Otherwise MSPro6 hasn't been out long enough for many pages to be dedicated to its use.

There is hope. Except for the major interface changes up front the stuff under the hood works very much like MSPro 5.2 but with enhancements and additions. The tutorials on the 5.2 disk should give you the basics.

Also getting on the MUG (MediaStudio Users Group) mail list will fill your mailbox but give a lot of info on MSPro of all stripes. Details on MUG are at MUGCentral;

http://www.mugcentral.com/

It might be hard to join MUG right away as their server went down this weekend and it still isn't back up. This should be a short term problem.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 16 May 2000).]

Comment

Thanks, I already have taken care of the the Ulead.ini file, although it is nice to know a little more about why I did it (I thought the Marvel wasn't OpenDML, but wasn't certain).
      I've printed out the 5.2 Manual andx will root around the CD for any additional help. I may join the MUG, as I already read about it somewhere (perhaps Ulead's site), but first I want to ensure that I have a more reliable email provider. I'm on one of those free ISPs and sometime my email will get "stuck." I thank you for the help though. Hopefully if I have any further questions they will be about more specific things or maybe I won't have any at all. That would be nice.
      NotEd
      If you had a infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters one of them would eventually become head of Tech Support.

Abit BE6-II v1.1
      Intel Celeron 566@850
      Matrox G400 OEM 32MB DH
      Sound Blaster Live Value
      Maxtor 5.7 GB IDE Ultra33 System Drive
      Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-ROM
      Promise Ultra 66 with-
      Maxtor 30 GB Ultra66 Video drive
      Yamaha CDRW6416
      Adaptec 2940 U2W
      Windows 2000 SP2
      Generic LS-120 drive, Teac 3.5" Floppy