Please help, Matrox or Asus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, Matrox or Asus?

My search for a new vga card with analog video in/out capabilities (tv is of no concern) has fininshed with two candidates : either Matrox Marvel G450 or Asus V8200 Ti200 Deluxe. Although i'm failry old Matrox user since the time of the first Millennium (then MillII/RRS and G200) i can't decide so:
    I have tested the Asus card in a system almost identical to the one i'm buliding, and the "problem" i noticed capturing full frame (704*576 PAL with Picvideo quality 20, or Huffyuv) was a very fine subtle white net over the captured clip. However the net disappeared when resized down to 352*288 for VCD encoding.
    Any experiences/suggestions/problems for the Marvel G450 from those who already own the card ?

Thank you in advance

Asus P4B266-E, 512Mb DDR Ram, P4 2GHz Northwood, Promise raid onboard, sound card onboard
    2*40 GB Maxtor D-740X
    ?????????? VGA ??????????????? (Help please)
    ADS Pyro for DV
    Pioneer 106s DVD and Yamaha 2100 CDRW.
    mits,
    System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
    model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

I don't own G450 but I did just build a new system and put a G550 in it. When it comes to great 2-D video the road just seems to lead back to Matrox. I am very happy with the G550. The G450 also has legions of users out there. I remember reading on the Matrox hardware forum that many G450 users who got the G550 said their G450 was slightly better and others said the G550 was best. The other Matrox that seems to get great reviews and is a hot E-bay item is the G400 MAX but mostly from 3-D users. If you work with video, I don't think you could go wrong with the G450 but you might want to consider the G550 and get the DVI support. Do some browsing on the Matrox Hardware forum too, if you haven't already.
    Last edited by dchip; 28 March 2002, 18:22.

Comment

I own a g450, even thogh it's not a Marvel. The picture quality is great and I really enjoy the perfect video-out, matrox has the best video-out in the world, thats for sure.

As far as I know that GeforceViVo-cards cannot compet with the quality of a matrox. For best videocapture quality you should go for a ATI Radeon DDR ViVo. It provides also a good TV-out, good picture quality and useful gaming performance (if that is an issue).

Friedrich

Comment

Working...
      X