Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing WinXP right now...tips?

Besides DON'T DO IT!!

Now I know why everybody loves WinXP. A monkey could install it. I just wanted to see what all the rage is about and since all of my HW is supposedly WInXP compliant I figured what the hell. Anyone know any great performance tips? I know that it is a big sucker, but I figure there should be a bunch of extra crap thatI could disable in there. First one will probably be the native CD burning support so that I can use Nero.

Any tips would be appreciated.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

After you're done looking at the eye candy;

FDISK C:\

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think you are making a big mistake because of WPA. But I need to keep and XP box running at work to test my code on.

You don't need to disable the builtin XP CD burning if you use Nero 5.5.7.8 or newer. If you right-click to bring up the properties box on the CR-RW drive there is an option box, uncheck "enable CD writing". I still had no luck with InCD, but Nero works fine.

--wally.

Comment

Hi,

Besides turning off IIS and the like as a service, go to the System Properties Dialog (Right click the My Computer icon and click properties). Then click the "settings" button on the Performance frame. Choose "Adjust for best performance" and click OK.

The OS has become a favorite. It works really well for all of my systems.

Comment

DON'T DO IT! was exactly what I was prepared to post when I saw this thread, but it would seem you've already discarded that advice. Hope the pretty pictures are worth it, because that all it offers over w2k.

Comment

Videoguys are always helpful!

Regards,

Nick.

Comment

@Wkulecz:
              I have good-and-trusted Windows 2000 running on my machine and use VMWARE for testing my code under different environments. Such as Windows XP,ME,98SE,95, Linux ... No need to have physical PC's for every flavour of Windoze!
              Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

For betaing under various OS's I used to set up multiboots, but have since graduated to using removable drives for each OS under test.

Smallish drives, bays and caddys are cheap and this way they're all isolated from each other. It also lets me beta on my main, and most powerful, system without risking my "normal use" setup.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Win XP could be a very nice OS but NOT FOR Matrox Marvel G400 &Co.
                  Uninstalling the XP drivers for Matrox is a pain. Installing the W2K drivers is a pain. Setting up DualHead DVDMax is a pain. PIC video MJPEG swtches automaticaly my PAL setting to NTSC and it is very difficult to reset to PAL again.
                  Now, I am back with W98SE + W2K Pro dual boot.
                  My latest XP single boot is now Ghosted with at least 5 updates from M$.
                  XP could be fine for a Radeon 8500 AIW, but not for Matrox (again)

Fred H
                  It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                  ------------------------------------------------

Comment

It's upi and seems to be running very well with just one funky game problem. Not necesaarily an XP issue, more than likely a driver or SW patch fix. It is pretty interesting so far. I seem to like it more than I though that I would. The new interface sems to make everything look "new" if that makes sense. Just a little different appearance seems to freshen it up a bit.

I went through and ripped the guts out of it as much as I could so far. A few things that irk me, like MSN Messenger starting automatically and it opening whenever I check my email. Gone. MSCONFIG is back and seems to work well. The only thing I am not sure about is the indexing system. Should it be on or off? I also disabled all of teh auto download crap and the system rollback stuff. No problems s far.

The easiest install I have had yet and no compatability issues...yet. I also inastalled it in ACPI. Figured if it is supposed to work then I want to see it work right. Maybe I was looking for a reason to hate it. Kinda like it though.
                    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Scascia
                      Did you test XP with your old Marvel card?

Fred H
                      It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                      ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Sciascia,

here's a link on how to disable msn messenger from automatically running --- http://support.microsoft.com/search/...;en-us;Q302089

indexing isn't necessary - you can disable it and save some wear & tear on your HDDs and speed things up a little
                        Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

I would completely disable it if I didn't need it. The old lady uses it call her mother and friends overseas. I even bought a wireless headset so she could remove herself from my PC chair and I can still "work" on the computer while she talks.

I just don't want it to automatically start. MSCONFIG>Startup>then uncheck MSSGS seemed to work fine.

Comment

Maybe you have already been, but there is a nice list of tweaks submited by users over at tweakxp

I've used a lot of the tweaks from overthere and its much better...

Dan
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

there's also a free utility called "XP Antispy" to prevent XP from calling Bill Gates ten times daily. There are lots of different conditions when XP will send data to Microsoft without telling you so- it's a bloody outrage. Media Player tells them everything you watch or hear. This OS is a big risk for government agencies.
                              Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
                              X