raid array?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raid array?

As I shop to complete my DV NLE setup I keep getting told that my drive configuration will not work unless I use a "raid array."
    Can anyone offer an opinion on this. My setup runs fast. The Matrox Bench routinely reports 9-11 MB/sec speed. That may not be lightning-fast but is it fast enough to save me from having to buy a raid controller too?

Heres my total specs and Thanks for any advice:

Asus P3BF
    PIII 450
    Win98SE
    128MB ECC RAM
    Matrox G200TV AGP
    2 Western Digital 18GB 7200rpm ATA-66
    Promise Ultra 66 HDD Controller
    Soundblaster Live!
    CDRW, CDROM
    Panasonic software MPEG encoder
    *Canopus DV Raptor
    *DVCAM (Canon OpturaPI or Canon Elura)
    *Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.0
    *BorisFX

*planned purchases

You don't necessarily need a RAID array for speed when using DV as the data rate is pretty low at 3.6 megs/sec.

The real advantage of RAID arrays is that you can string several smaller drives together into a very large storage setup, up to 128 gigs. Example: two of the new Maxtor 40 or 60 gig drives on a Fasttrak66 and you have all the storage you'll ever need.

Size can be very important to a large project and to give you some breathing room for storing title clips, graphics and audio files. 18 gigs will hold about 83 minutes of video, but in my experience you need almost twice the storage you need for the raw length of your project.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks Doc.. I have (2) 18GB drives, but, I am going to forego the raid stuff, for now. As it is, my liquid funds are going to get raided by this whole effort.

Comment

dchip,
        If you are handy with a soldering iron, there is an easy way of hacking your Promise card to become a FastTrack raid card. Search for the subject in this forum and you will see all the details of the operation.
        Michka
        I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
        If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Working...
        X