Maxtor D740X SANDRA benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor D740X SANDRA benchmarks

Just installed a 2 drive array on one of my other systems and thought I'd share its scores given that some will wonder how various drives will do.

Here's the setup.

ECS K7S5A mainboard (yup, another one....)
    AthlonXP 2000+
    256 megs DDR256 RAM
    Windows2000 SP-2
    Fasttrak100
    2 Maxtor D740X 60 gig drives (120g array)
    2 drive RAID0 (what most folks will set up)
    64k stripe block, set up for performance

SANDRA 2002 scores;

Composite score: 32344 (meaningless for video)

Sequential write: 59 mbytes/s (important for caputres)

Sequential read: 48 mbytes/s (important for playback)

Seek: 8ms

Not bad for a 2 drive array....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 May 2002, 09:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

2 WD Ultra 10 at RAID 0 on a FT 100

Composite: 25161

Sequential write: 38MB/s

Sequential Read: 37MB/s

Seek: 11ms

Something wrong here, of course my IRQ's are as follows:

Everything that uses any real bandwidth: IRQ3

WinXP and ACPI

I need to scrounge up another 80 pin IDSE cable to test the difference in master and slave connectors. Not real optimistic here though.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Mine is running ACPI as well, so that *shouldn't* be a factor.

On IRQ-11 I have;

Matrox G400DH
      Linksys LNE100TX NIC
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
      Fasttrak100
      IEEE-1394
      USB Host Controller

There have been reports that XP has slower disk performance, so maybe that's it.

Also damning for XP was a report in InfoWorld summarized on Tech-Report.com;

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 May 2002, 12:36.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't know how much faith I would put in that comparison of XP and W2K. Some of it seems down right strange.

"Our tests on a dual-CPU system indicate that both Windows XP and Windows 2000 run better on an SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) configuration with relatively slow CPUs than on a single-CPU system with a screamingly fast processor. As we added more and more load, the benefits of a dual-processor configuration became more apparent. Both OSes (using Office 2000 and optimized UIs) handled the heaviest workload (scenario 3) nearly 40 percent faster on the SMP client machine [a dual 1GHz PIII] than on the [1.5GHz] single-CPU Pentium 4."

Hardly fair and realistic to compare a PIII to a P4 like this as even a single 1Ghz P3 can outperform a 1.5Ghz P4 on some tests. And who knows what other differences there are between the systems being compared as they are never described in the original article. It sounds like they have fallen for the Intel propaganda that the faster clock of the P4 actually means it is faster and that suggests they are relatively inexperienced with PC platforms. That and the lack of disclosure about the test platforms has to cast some doubt on their results.

Not that I am not trying to defend XP. My main system uses W2K, which is the way it is going to stay for the forseeable future. I have tried XP but have not found anything in it that is of any real use to me or that I haven't already covered with better third party utilitys. And it has some things that are down right annoying (You no longer have to browse the Internet to get pop up advertising and SPAM for useless products as Microsoft has built it in to the OS, now that's progress!) That's not to say XP is all bad. It does have some useful features and extras depending on what you are going to use it for.

David.

Comment

Sandra

I feel sort of dumb asking because I should have gotten this diagnostic tool a long long time ago, but, where can I purchase a download of SiSoft Sandra?
          I found this old link http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/ in MURC General-Hardware but is that the best place to get this tool? Thanks.

Comment

I personally don't trust Sandra for benching HD's even tho I do have it.

IMHO HDTach is much better
            Last edited by Greebe; 3 May 2002, 08:57.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yep, that's the place to go.

AFAIK only the professional version needs to be purchased,
              the standard version is a free download. Of course the professional version gives you a few more information and
              benchmarking modules but all of the drive / cpu & memory
              benchmarking modules are present and fully functional in the
              standard edition.

Simon

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Changed the cables, updates the FT100 BIOS and drivers, no improvement, about 40mb/s now. HDTach shows my system drive being faster than the RAID drive. Ultra 100 drives all around, 2 should be faster than one.

By the way what allocation unit size should I be using for the RAID drive when formatting? I don't know what the defalt is, but I did set the FT100 for A/V editing which is 64k I think. Not sure that would make a difference in speed, but just wondering what it should be.
                  WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I thought that the Maxtors are faster than the IBM?
                    My array with two IBM 40GB GXP75 IC35L040 gets this score (HPT370, Win2k):

The radom read/write numbers seem to be a bit low to me, I seem to remember having better results before my Win2k reinstall.
                    There was a commandline argument for better HD-throughput in Win2k, disbling random OS accesses to the drives, however I can't remember it. Doc, I think you were the one, that suggested this several months ago, could you please rephrase this commandline?
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

diskperf -N
                      Disables all performance counters
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

A little BIOS tweaking got me up to al ittle more reasonable numbers, but still not where it should be.

Sequential read: 51 mb/s

Sequemtial write: 40 mb/s

One thing that I did notice was that your system is file server optimized. That may be the last key, though I assume that you are running Win2k or 98SE. I'll have to dig around and see if there is a way to change that in WinXP.

I've also noticed that the Promise utility does not seem to be working correctly. There is no difference at all between SMART being enabled or disabled, although the write buffer enabled or disabled does seem to have an effect.
                        Last edited by Sciascia; 5 May 2002, 14:36.

Comment

Working...
                        X