No announcement yet.

OT: Bye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick, I remember those MiniDV vs. Digitial8 debates. At the time, I was trying to decide if I should move to DV. I gleaned a lot of good info from those "discussions." Anyway, Brian is an independent thinker, i o w, a video editor.

Comment

Get well soon, Brian

I like your writings, especially because of your very distinctive opinions and your creative use of language (what was that word again, a few months ago?)

take care

landrover
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work:
      Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
      Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

I hope you feel better soon!
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

codswallop?

Comment

Love the "Search" function

dchip, those were the days, eh! For anyone who wasn't around these parts two to three years ago, we used to have some real barnburner discussions. Emotions ran high over the silliest of things, including the merits of MiniDV versus Digital8 camcorders. Many of the forum members who were involved in those debates still reside here to this very day. Here's a couple of my favorite threads about DV formats from October and November of 1999. Sit back with your beverage of choice and have a good read...

Digital 8 or Pure DV

DV v. D8 (again)

It's amazing that any of us "old timers" are still on speaking terms.

Comment

Yes, codswallop! That´s the word!!

landrover
              -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
              2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
              Matrox Parhelia 128
              Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
              Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
              Maxtor 300 GB for video
              Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
              Win XP Pro

At work:
              Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
              Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

OK guys, I'm still lurking and thank you all for your good wishes: it's great to feel appreciated. I had a minor ischemic stroke on Monday which has left paralytic sequels on RH side, making it very difficult to do simple things like using mouse or keyboard (or using a knife and fork ). Fortunately, speech is not affected and I can still dictate to my 'puter. The main thing is that morale is OK, although I get frustrated trying to do simple things. It took me 15 minutes on Monday to take my watch off for a shower and another 10 minutes to put it back on again, but I've improved to < 1 minute for each, now. I was allowed to drive to the clinic for a CT scan on Tuesday: biggest problem was turning the ignition key !

Anyway, I'll continue to lurk here from time to time and, hopefully, I'll feel fit enough to re-contribute (and pull your legs mercilessly: some of you guys take things far too seriously ) in a few weeks, when I have better mouse control for MSP.

Landrover, Codswallop has a synonym: poppycock, which you should be able to understand as I believe it comes from the Dutch familiar word pappekak. I don't know any Dutch, other than Mijnheer, but I believe it approximates to runny shit. How appropriate!

See you soon, guys!
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Take care, Brian, and please get well soon. We'll eagerly await your return.
                  Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Get well soon! Sounds like you're getting good care, let's hope for a quick recovery of motor function!

--wally.

Comment

Brian, if typing remains difficult, you may find voice recognition like Dragon System's Natrually Speaking or IBM's ViaVoice helpful. I worked in Stanford's Adaptive Tech lab for a few years, and while at times it can be frustrating to learn, it is very helpful if you can still speak. Anyway, I hope you get well soon!

MadScot
                      Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

And some good advice: Do yourself a favor and undergo a MR scan instead of the CT.
                        MRI really kicks CTs ass (to say it in "computer hardware language") for depicting brain parenchyma, especially fresh (and older, too) ischemic lesions are depicted much more accurate.

And lots of those symptoms actually can vanish over time. Just be patient, this is not a thing of days, more like weeks/months.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Indiana is correct...go for the MRI if you have the option.

Transient ischemic attacks are frequently a symptom of carotid stenosis, a narrowing of the carotid artery (major artery in the neck that fees the brain) due to artheriosclerosis.

Carotid stenosis is most often diagnosed first by stethescope (to detect a bruit...an abnormal sound of the artery wall) and then confirmed by doppler ultrasound.

If the doppler ultrasound indicates further pursuit is warrented it's then typical to do an arteriogram or MRI of the carotid artery(ies) involved to determine if the blockage is of a degree that would require surgery. The amout of blockage that triggers surgery in most protocols is 90%.

I ran an the angiography department at a very large teaching hospital for many years, and was in fact trained in the modern angiographic techniques by one of the physicians who developed most of them.

That said carotid arteriograms are not a very pleasant procedure and do present some intrinsic risk of their own. IF your physician is comfortable determining the need for surgery based on an MRI instead of performing an angiogram I'd recommend following that course of action. If not then angiography certainly does give definitive results most of the time, but as I said it's not always pleasant.

The procedure usually done to resolve this mess is a carotid endarterectomy. In this procedure the plaque bearing portion of the carotid artery is opened and either the placque is removed or the artery can be excised and a synthetic replacement installed. The latter is usually done if the damage to the artery wall is severe or if it has ulcerated.

Endarterectomy is usually recommended for those who are symptomatic. Asympotomatic carotid stenosis is usually handled medically.

Less commonly done is a carotid angioplasty or arterial stent insertion, but some studies show a lower quality of result from these procedures over the long term.

More info and images;

Brazilian Butt Lifts require transferring fat from one area of your body to your buttocks. Read about the pros and cons of this procedure including the cost.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2002, 11:23.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Say what!

I remember when all we use to talk about around here was dropped frames!

Comment

MadScot

Thanks: I've been using Voice Recognition programmes for donkey's years. I started with the IBM VoiceType v. 1.00 about 10 or 12 years ago and updated systematically via SimplySpeaking Gold to ViaVoice (which is being used for dictating this message). Dragon Naturally Speaking is hopeless for my voice, which is basso profundo and gruff. The L&H system is not as good as ViaVoice but better than Dragon. I tried the Philips' system once and was not impressed.

Various others:

Thanks for the medical advice. Unfortunately, I cannot have an MRI because I wear a pacemaker so CT was the next best thing. This showed severe calcification of the falx cerebri and all the basal ganglia, possibly as a result, at least contributory, of a near-fatal viral encephalo-meningitis about 32 years ago. I concur with our Doc's advice: I'm booked in for a doppler of the carotids, although my Doc finds nothing abnormal with a stethoscope. I should get the results of the complete blood chemistry analyses on Monday although I'd be surprised if there were something really out of kilter as previous analyses have always been reasonable and my normal BP range has been a steady 120-140/80-90 for several years. I can't quote cholesterol figures offhand but they were in the upper quartile of the "normal" range. I guess testing will continue for a while yet!

The tentative diagnosis is a TIA which bodes reasonably well for recovery of most of the motor function. There has already been a marked improvement. On Monday, my right hand, in particular, was as useless as a slab of wet fish. By Wednesday, there was some muscular tone. Today, I have some movement of the fingers, albeit rather spastic: I can pick up large, light objects, such as a tennis ball that I'm using for squeezing (or trying to!). The limp has disappeared almost completely. I guess then that the prognosis is reasonably favourable, assuming no recidive.

Keep smiling, guys, and profit from my absence for your most outrageous statements
                              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian,

I'm ashamed that I haven't been around recently to see your post. Please get well soon, I don't think I could bear to continue here without such deep contributions as you (and others) have offered over the years. I think all of us old-timers have had our run-ins in that time, and just as importantly have had our moments of companionship.

I did send Ant out to find you a few weeks back, but he came back with no news; now we know why! Looks like I'll have to make a winter trip over there to check on your health personally.

Anyway, rest up and make sure that you're fit to continue, don't jump the gun!

Chris
                                T_I

Comment

Working...
                                X