AMD Sledgehammer: 2 ghz and UP....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sledgehammer: 2 ghz and UP....

"Although not due until at least late next year, a replacement for Athlon will run at 2GHz and above, offering 64-bit memory addressing, AMD officials revealed here at PC Expo. The new chip will be based on technology from AMD's 64-bit server chip, code-named Sledgehammer."

http://www.zdnet.com/special/stories...596504,00.html

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 05 July 2000).]

"Will the 64-bit apps come?
    Still, it remains to be seen whether application developers will create 64-bit versions of their popular desktop applications. "

Be sure, Bill Gate$ will...

Fred H

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 05 July 2000).]
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

You bet. Him and everyone else doing graphics apps.

Of course the need for a 64 bit text editor could come into question

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

As an old, ex- network manager, I still ( )remember the 8 bit Matrox cards in our CAD-computers...
        Good old times, but we were happy (?)
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yeah! (he said smacking his gums)

I remember trimming reeds to make a stylus so's I could scribe on my clay tablets for Hammurabi!

Those were the days by golly!

And if you got to sweatin' you'd just fan yerself wid a coupla of 8inch floppies!

Oh yassss!

ROFL

Richard

------------------
          Abit BH6; 300A@450; 128MB
          FastTrack66 dual KA 18GB & dual Maxtor 27G 6800; Marvel 200; MX300
          Abit BH6; 300A@450; 128MB
          FastTrack66 dual KA 18GB & dual Maxtor 27G 6800; Marvel 200; MX300

Comment

amazing that the 2Ghz processor will work four times as fast as my pIII-500. That means a DivX (high bitrate, 352*288) and mp3 encoding at 60fps, and 704*576 DivX + mp3 at 25fps. Realtime DivX (my thing) encoding, goodbye 90GB RAID array.

Another thing that I think is really interesting is dual processors. Since workstation stuff like video encoding hardly is limited by memory bandwith (not at all) dual processors would likely almost doubble encoding speed. Dual 2Ghz would in workstation tasks like video encoding probably perform almost like a 4GHz computer... perhaps dual celeron 667Mhz clocked to 1Ghz would perform like a 2Ghz computer? I'd like to find out.. I've got to go down to the local retailer and ask if I could borrow some computer parts...

Comment

Working...
            X