Is it ok to buy AMD based motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elie,

The article that blasted Premiere and dual processors was featured in the June 2002 issue of Camcorder & Computer Video.

Author Jeff Zack built a dual processor AMD Athlon workstation only to discover that Premiere's so-called "dual processor support" was very disappointing.

I quote from his article:

"The first items that the timeline moved through were a title and the PiP effects that I had in the project."

"This went pretty fast, and I was encouraged."

"But, when the timeline moved to the video effects I had applied to the clips, it slowed down to a crawl."

"When I finished the project, it was obvious that there was very little gain - LESS THAN ONE MINUTE."

"The change was so insignificant that I was sure that there was something wrong with my setup."

"I checked the system, and the OS was seeing the second CPU just fine."

"Then, I checked Premiere with the same results."

"Now, a call to Adobe's PR folks was in order to find out what was going on."

"A callback from Adobe made it clear how limited the actual multi-processor support is in Premiere."

END QUOTE

This is why I think Ulead made a very good decision to vest development in SSE2 and 3DNow! aware code.

MediaStudio Pro - quite simply - is the fastest sub-$1,000 NLE on the market.

When I downloaded Vegas Video's trial, I was stunned by how S...L...O...W it was.

But dual processor results for Premiere are posted on this Web site and can be compared with results from MediaStudio Pro with just fast single processor configurations. It appears MediaStudio Pro is FASTER:

MediaStudio Pro 7.0 is going to be very, very cool.

Jerry Jones

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Does mediastudio support multiprocessors?

Also, it will be cool only of hardware finally supports it. Things like the MVR-1000 that use Premiere exclusively are a problem.

Wouldn't it be nice if MS7 would support Premiere plugins?

Neko

Comment

No, but MSPro 6.5 does fully support SSE2 and Advanced 3DNow! throughout the program, including the compositing and rendering engines. This provides much more of a "boost" to MSPro 6.5 than Premiere gets from dualies as very few of Premieres functions actually use the second processor.

All Premiere supports is straight MMX and this is one reason why it dogs out vs. MSPro 6.5. It's slow as mud both in editing and rendering because of this. It also has rather poor control over its undo cache and memory handling, which also help a lot

A while back I created identical projects for MSPro and Premiere that force rendering throughout and have constant motion, effects and color changes to make things even harder.

The results were, and still are, that MSPro renders both MPEG and DV faster than Premiere using the same encoder. When rendering these MSPro is ~2x as fast as Premiere and that was using the Ligos encoder for MPEG's.

MSPro 6.5's MPEG engine is now even faster because the MPEG.now encoder replacement for Ligos has been released, upping it to 6.51a.

The page that Jerry noted is a compilation of many tests using these projects and should put some perspective into the dualie vs. single cpu and VIA vs. SiS vs. Intel issues.

And Jerry is right: MSPro 7 is going to be hell on wheels

BTW: I'm a beta for both MSPro and Premiere.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 July 2002, 19:17.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X