Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

.xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

"End of life (for Windows 2000) is supposed to be first quarter 2004," Silver said. "We're predicting that Microsoft will extend that date for Windows 2000 Professional support."

Four year life cycle? Pitiful. My brother is just now upgrading from Win95B to Win98. I'm considering loading W2K myself pretty soon.

Just about the time they start getting the bugs worked out is when they drop support. Nice.

Kevin

Comment

Such nasty words. Microsoft does not have bugs in their software, only undocumented features

They want to switch everyone over to XP asap so they can get better control over their customers, with their idiotic registration process each time you change the configuration. And they keep asking more and more personal data each time you have to call.

In Germany lots of companies are switching to Linux, especially after the new licencing agreements were enforced by MS. Now you have to pay even huger amounts of money, and you have to _rent_ their programs and such.

I am all for this. No sarcasm, for real. No need to promote Linux, MS is doing a great job promoting Linux without our help

All we need is convince Matrox, Canopus etc to get Linux drivers for their editing cards.

Neko

Comment

Well, give them a year or two and they will have a new OS out every halfyear!!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Does anybody know if installation of SP3 will force acceptance of a EULA similar to the security update on WMP 7.1? I'm referring to the section which allow M$FT to automatically download and install DRM SW updates etc..
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I think I'll wait until a few folks have installed it and we see what spyware has been bundled with it.
            paulw

Comment

In another thread I TOLD YOU SO!

I knew Microsoft will discontinue Win2K, but didn't know when.

Thanks Jerrold for the info.

Regards,
              Elie

Comment

Many companies would rather skip a generation or two of Windows/Office than update every year.

Our company is planning to move to OpenOffice because of the new licencing model. I'm currently checking some compatibility issues before it's final. MS is just too bloody greedy. They act as if they OWN your PC. One might as well rename the company to "Dot.Greed".

The German government is planning to install Linux on its servers and very probably on its client PC's too (there are strong rumours about an agreement with IBM).
                Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

If MSPro and full support for DV/DVD were available in Linux, I'd change over today for my video editing computer. The problem with my limited trials to date is that I tried Red Hat, Caldera and Corel (as it was then) flavours, and had different installation problems and different reactions with a few apps. Unfortunately, I have to keep Windows 98SE for office work (lack of drivers for legacy professional peripheral hardware available for later versions and lack of compatibility with incoming/outgoing files and WINE or its commercial offshoots is not the answer, either).

I refuse to go the XP path, so I'll stick with 98SE and 2000 until something gives.
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Yup, if Linux is ready to handle my DV editing needs when W2K is no longer viable, I'll buy a Mac or a dedicated editing box before buying into Billy G's "vision" of the computer world of XP and beyond.

I will be very slow to install SP3 and wait until I see what "new features" it tries to cram down my throat! W2Ksp2 is doing just fine for me thank you, and doesn't need "fixing"!

--wally.

Comment

Ditto here, even if I was forced into .NET for the Parhelia drivers.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        Ditto here, even if I was forced into .NET for the Parhelia drivers.

Dr. Mordrid
                        could you be elaborate on this?
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid ... Doc is responding to the previous post in that he was forced into accepting the new .NET feature due to its dependence by the Parhelia drivers.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

...the .NET...

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

And I should have been more exact:

WTF is .NET ??

Comment

Working...
                              X