No announcement yet.

New Panasonic MPEG encoder.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, that's right, this thread is about the new Panasonic Encoder . Thanks for the update. I've gotten totally carried away with what TMPGEnc has in the pot. It hadn't even hit me that I don't have a server. Guess I'll have to wait and see what it will take to run that server version. I'm registered now so updates should be coming to me.

Wonder how close 20 passes would be to a frame-by-frame examination of say a 2-hour clip. Probably nowhere near but still should yield some amazing results. If TMPGEnc 2-pass can be as good as it is today, I can only imagine what that guy could do with 20 passes. If it runs on something less than quadruple Xeons, , I would be willing to dedicate a computer to continuous encoding for however long it takes. This is just dreaming, for now.

Comment

Well guys...you always wondered what you'd use a 4 processor Hammer system for, didn't you?

Now you know

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        Well guys...you always wondered what you'd use a 4 processor Hammer system for, didn't you?

Now you know

Dr. Mordrid

Starting before the sun sets, I bet that could crank out a two-hour 20-pass encode before the rooster crows. My current P4 would probably take several days to finish. Does anybody know if a run-of-the-mill consumer hard drive can even be operated continuously for that long without failing? Not too worried about the IC stuff but those moving parts are another story. Maybe I could settle for 10-pass .

Comment

Donno why a HDD would fail under those conditions when they don't fail on systems that render 4-5 days worth of 3D animations. A couple of my systems are dedicatd to doing just that.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You're right. My question was not well thought out. A hard drive designed to stop and start tens of thousands of times in its life cycle would obviously be able to run for several days continuously. In fact, such usage might be easier on it than stopping and starting a lot of times during the same period of time. With any motor, it is getting going that is the most stressful.

So, I'll be hoping that TMPGEnc Server can be run on these underpowered beasts that I have, and I'll be prepared for the encode to take several days and turn out amazing 2 hour VBR
            MPEG-2 clips with file sizes around 4GB (including wav audio) that will look like 6000+ CBR when burned to DVD. It's fun to think about. I would love to see it happen.

Comment

I will assume that Panasonic meant to state the 15th for the release of the standalone encoder. Maybe someone just for got to punch in that extra 5.

3 more days?
              Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Well. as of the 12th the good folks at Panasonic have removed all dates for release. They are saying it will be "soon".

Triple Arrrrrgh!
                Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to it, and hope it will be worth the wait.

Comment

Working...
                  X