Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Region Questions ???

Hi,

I want to get the Back to the Future trilogy, on DVD. They are coming out in August, but only in Austrulia (the US version will be released in Christimas time). Anyway, I wanted to order them now, but I wasn't sure how the region 4 issue would work out. My DVD drive on my PC is region free, and my copy of WinDVD can play all region disks (courtesy of WinDVD Tweaker), so I guess the region 4 issue should be ok (?). But what does the PAL format mean, and how does it compare to NTSC? Also, when playing DVD movies on a PC, are we viewing them in 24fps, or 30 fps? Does the computer do the 3:2 conversion, like a progressive scan DVD player?

Thanks!

-V-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

The Pal/ NTSC should not cause you a problem on your PC. This is an issue which affects standalone drives as they output at 25/ 30fps and on some (many?) players this will cause problems like jerky playback.

When watching movies on a PC you will view them at whatever the DVD was encoded at. I can watch PAL/ NTSC (UK/ USA) DVDs without a problem on my PC.

Kane
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Yes, but how about watching DVD's through TV-out, what Matrox's DVD Max is famous for? Will the signal be OK if you watch a NTSC DVD on your PAL TV (or vice versa) using DVDMax. I unlocked my DVD-Rom drive recently and am considering ordering Salem's Lot (NTSC) in the USA because a Region 2 (PAL) version doesn't exist. But could I watch the film on the TV with DVDMax or just on the PC Monitor?

landrover
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work: