Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capture straight to DIVX using MarvelG200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture straight to DIVX using MarvelG200?

Hey guys,
    has been a while since here.

Have just been amazed at the DivX codec, yes I crawled out from under my rock.

I remember there being a way (in the registry I think) to use another codec when capturing..

I'd like to be able to capture using the DivX codec.

Any help appreciated

Thanx.

Darren

capture directly to divx??? what kind of CPU do you have? a 1GHz? a dual 800MHz?

Comment

First you have to get the YUY2 capture hack working in your Marvel G200. Once you do that you can capture direct to DivX using AVI_IO, MS VidCap or Ulead VCapture. No, it doesn't take a monster processor either. If you have at least a Celeron 500 you can do half frame easily (352x480), which is more than enough for most purposes.

As for the particulars of getting YUY2 to work on the Marvel G200, this is easy. Just go to the download page of T_I's site and get the Flying Dutchman YUY2 utility. You'll also need to have the 1.52 version of the Video Tools installed. 1.54's YUY2 support is broken.

Once you have YUY2 captures enabled you just start your capture proggie, select for starts 352x240 YUY2 capture mode and then select the Slow DivX codec in the Compression settings. Set it for some middle range data rate like 2000 and exit the setups to try some captures.

Once you confirm this rez works then move up in rez until you start dropping frames to find your systems limits. It might take a PIII 600 or larger to do full frame 704x480's depending on your systems throughput and the data rate you set, but it can be done without dualies or gigahertz processors.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 20 July 2000).]

Comment

Thanx for the reply's

I don't have a super PC so did some looking around for a way to convert the matrox avi into divx.

I found VirtualDub at http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...oding.html#enc and was very impressed with the outcome.

All I have to do now is work out the best settings to use.

I used the DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Fast-Motion Codec, set the keyframe to 5 seconds, Compression Control to 100, and Data Rate to 1200kbits/sec...

Has anyone found, come up with a good formula here? I would like to have the file size as small as possible without losiong any clarity, and also want to be able to play directly from CD.

Once again thanx.

[This message has been edited by MB_Darren (edited 21 July 2000).]

Comment

Actually most times the Slow motion codec is better. Even if you set Fast motion for high settings it keeps falling back to ~500 kbits or so.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Followed the directions in this thread and actually got direct to DIVX captures working great with Ulead Vcapture under 98SE.

Anybody know if it's also possible to capture audio directly to mp3 or some other compressed codec on the fly along with DIVX?

Comment

I am capturing to xvid + mp3 audio using http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~dittrich/sync/ - drops quite a few frames as you can expect compressing audio and video live, but it keeps em in sync nicely.

1GHz Tbird + G400TV + Vid .586 (latest, needed inf mod)
              @DrP #Windows95 DALnet

Comment

It is generally not recommended to compress audio to mp3 or something similar on the fly. Unless you have fairly high CPU power, you will almost certainly drop frames, lose sync, or even worse, both.
                Besides, it takes relatively little time and effort to compress audio to mp3 after capturing using VirtualDub. For example with DivX captures, choose "direct stream copy" in the video tab and select "full processing mode" and the appropriate audio codec in the audio tab. Save your file and you´ll end up with a perfectly encoded DivX-file

landrover
                -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
                2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                Matrox Parhelia 128
                Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
                Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                Maxtor 300 GB for video
                Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
                Win XP Pro

At work:
                Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
                Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

If you are going to capture matrox or HuffYUV and then convert, use Vitual Dub and DivX 5.

If you want to use DivX 4 then encode with Nandub (a version of Virtual Dub specially designed for the task). It does two passes and uses BOTH the low motion and the high motion codecs thoughout the video file depending on the motion detected in the first pass. It produces very noticable superior quality to a single pass and I'm sure it would create a superior result to capturing on the fly.

I use the DivX or M$ MP4 V2 (which is almost the same as DIvX4) for nearly all video now.

You can do two passes with V'Dub and DivX 5, it's just a bit more manual. Note the two passes will allow you to produce a file at about 2/3 the size a single pass will, if they had the same quality. (not sure if they reads right? What I mean is you can use a lower bit rate and get the same quality.

Get NanDub from doom9 (www.doom9.net)

Comment

Files captured with .mp3 audio can't be edited with Ulead MSP6/6.5.
                    The final edited clip can be compressed to .mp3 audio with VirtualDub, but again, it can't be REedited in Ulead VideoEditor.

Fred H
                    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X