No announcement yet.

Hard drive speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I know iis that I can load the PICVIDEO lossless MJPEGCODED.
    Yeah I know techniclly not Uncompressed. Anyway In Premieres capture settings for "compression" it allways says uncompressed

Comment

Thanks - Afraid its still as clear as mud though.

While using Premiere to capture you still will only be able to capture with the Miro Mjpeg codec and nothing else.

If you look at the properties of any one of your captured files you should see that its the case with datarates at a max of around 6M/s - way lower than uncompressed (around 19M/s for YUY).

Picvideo is anything but lossless! and I dont know what you mean by being able to "load" it.
      Lawrence

Comment

Very simply. The New PICVideo Lossless MJPEG codec(what they call it and what it looks like) can be set to be any capture cards primary decoder. In Premiere my DC10plus says "compressor: Studio M-Jpeg" and it will say that regardless of the ccodec you choose in the capture options. However, when I use PICVideo and call it the primary, it locks actually changes what Premiere see. Inthe capture window it now will say compressor:n/a telling me that th Studio codec is no longer being used. So either PICVideo is the new Prmary codec or I'm not usingg any codec during capture.
        Pete Janak

Comment

Peter

At the risk of highjacking the thread:

Picvideo MJPEG is certainly not lossless - if you have a link to info showing the oposite to be true please post it.

Analogue capture with the DC10 cannot be done with anything other than the Studio Mjpeg.

......can be set to be any capture cards primary decoder....
          Correct - but it cannot be set to be its primary encoder if the hardware does not allow it (and the DC10 certainly doesnt) - hence my question.

Once again - try looking at the properties of one of your captured files that according to Premiere must be "uncompressed"/"using no codec" and you will find the absolutely max datarate to be something around 6M/s - the surest indication that your source material has been compressed.

Premiere simply does not report/treat the DC10 properly because
          it was never designed to do so - the fact that you have it working is simply a bonus for yourself
          Lawrence

Comment

I'll have to do a two test renders one with the default and one with PIC VIDEO then I'll let you know.

Ass far as the "Lossless statement. PICVIDEOS own website calls it a Lossless codec. I know Lossless and jpeg don't go together but it must be pretty damn close otherwise they wouldn't tought it as Lossless
            Pete Janak

Comment

PicVIDEO makes two MJPeg codecs: one lossy and the other lossless.

Lossless MJPegs operate more like HuffYUV and the Matrox Digisuites MJPeg at its highest quality mode in that they skip the usual quantization and DC transforms and just use some form of entropy (Huffman, arithmetic etc.) encoding to shrink the video streams bitrate.

Lossy MJPegs use quantization, entropy and DC transforms.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 September 2002, 19:36.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks for jumping in Dr Mordrid.

I may be totally wrong here, but I very much doubt that the PicVideo Lossless JPEG codec can be used to decode and play back a standard MJPEG encoded avi. (I have no experience with the Lossless JPEG codec, and are assuming that Peter is also on about the Picvideo lossy MJPEG codec)

Peter - to get back to my original question:
                Can I assume you are therefore NOT able to capture uncompressed with the DC10?
                Lawrence

Comment

I don't think the lossless codec can decode the lossy files because they use different fourCC's. This lets you install both on the same system.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X