No announcement yet.

How to capture properly with HuffyYUV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to capture properly with HuffyYUV?

I just installed this codec and I think i'm not setting it up right.. I used Flying Dutchman's YUY2 Enabler and then installed the codec, I went into VirtualDub and set the format to YUY2, 352x240 and then set internal compression to the HuffyYUV codec and left the settings on default.. I was getting about 15fps.. I also have the macrovision crack applied to the capture DLL if that makes any difference.. and my system is a 433 Celeron (Not Overclocked).

How many background tasks are you running? This can severely limit a C433's ability to do the HuffYUV encoding in realtime.

Another problem can be the version of Video Tools you're using. If it's VT 1.54 then that is also a problem. The YUY2 support in that version is broken. Use VT 1.52. You can get them at the Matrox drivers page.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 28 July 2000).]

Comment

Ah no wonder, heh, I was reading the message as you were posting it.. Went to my mail to get my forum pw and noticed the edit. And yeah I do use the latest VT so I guess I know what the problem is now..

But just incase anyone wanted to know.. the CPU utilization never went past 30% and the HD im sure is able to keep up with the frame sizes. I guess it must be cause im using 1.54 of VT. I can capture raw RGB 16-bit 400x300 max without losing frames. BTW, you can't change YUY2's color? I mean 16-bit/24/32? Or is that the total purpose of YUY2 (It having it's own special set of colors?).

One more question, Does anyone know how the quality is when doing an analog -> digital conversion? I realize the quality can't be increased by forcing a digital conversion but I just want to know how the quality is when captured at 704x480 using a decent DV card, Same has MJPEG capture? Remember i'm talking analog here.

[This message has been edited by Phire (edited 28 July 2000).]

Comment

As far as 16/24/32 bit color goes YUY2 is 24 bit. Neither NTSC or PAL can display this many colors anyhow so any effort put into increasing it would be a waste of time even if you could do it, which you can't..

Actually DV has LOWER color resolution than analog captures. It uses colorspaces of 4:1:1 for NTSC and 4:2:0 for PAL. Analog captures like MJPeg, YUY2, RGB or MPEG use a 4:2:2 colorspace. It's hard to expain colorspaces in a brief statement, but basically: HIGHER:NUMBERS ARE:BETTER.

This can severely affect the use of DV for compositing, doing effects, titling or bluescreening as the reduced colorspace can introduce artifacts at the edge of the composited overlay, especially if the overlay has been shot in DV.

This is one major reason why low compression MJPeg (4:1 or less) or uncompressed YUY2 or RGB video is better for compositing and special effects. It's also why I use them so much.

One device where this isn't as much of a problem is the Matrox RT-2000 which uses 4:4:4 RGBA calculations in its realtime compositing engine. This allows it to produce very high quality effects even using DV sources. It can also capture DV and MPEG-2 from analog sources (composite and S-Video) in addition to it's DV capture ports. I use it a lot too.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ok, another question.. Is there any format that does a higher colorspace than the ones you mentioned? I thought I remember seeing something with a 4:4:4 colorspace? not really sure..

Comment

4:2:2 colorspace is available using the DVCPRO50 format (50 mbps DV vs. the normal 25 mbps consumer DV). Some professional gear can use 4:4:4 uncompressed, but this is not really practical for the non-rich

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X