Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huffyuv and the Hardware needed to use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huffyuv and the Hardware needed to use it?

I am curious, what hardware people are using for Full Screen / Full Frame Rate video. The author of Huffyuv talks about using his Celeron 416, but I cannot seem to get any good results with my PII 400.

Is it just my hardware? Maybe I just missinstalled the drivers.

Anyway - Some SysInfo:

PII 400 (448 oc)
    ASUS P2B-LS
    SBLive
    Seagate Cheetah 10k rpm / 9.1g LVD drive
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 27.3 g drive
    Marvel G200 w/ VT v1.52 & PD 5.55.022
    Win98 (Win2K doesnt work with MJPEG let alone Huffyuv)
    "Welcome to the edge of infinity...welcome to the Nexus"

http://home.pacbell.net

AVATAR-X, I too would like to know what hardware, capture settings etc. people are using to capture full res video (704x576 25fps) with HUFFYUV.

I have a celeron 400Mhz overclocked to 600Mhz (100% stable), an IBM 75gxp 30Gb HDD capture drive on a UDMA 33 channel (19-20Mb/s SANDRA sustained write speed) and a seperate Maxtor system drive. Using avi_io and Flying Dutchman's YUY2 hack, I have tried capturing D1 PAL 25fps with both the 1.3.1 and 2.1 HUFFYUV codecs with little success. Both codecs give me huge numbers of dropped frames as soon as I start the capture. On playback through the Matrox PC-VCR the video is VERY jerky with lots of deinterlacing artifacts etc.
    I can capture perfectly at 352x288 25fps with no dropped frames and no obvious deinterlacing artifacts upon playback.
    Half frame resolution is also possible but not perfect.
    As I understand from another related post, the HUFFYUV codec does not take advantage of SIMD instructions found in the Intel PIII CPU's, therefore I would like to know if my capture limitations are hard drive or CPU related.

system specs-:
    C400@600
    128Mb PC100 CAS2 RAM
    SOYO 6BA+IV BX m/board
    Diamond S90 PCI sound card
    Maxtor 18Gb system drive running seperate installations of Win95 OSR2.1 (capture only), Win95 OSR2.1 and Win98.
    IBM 75gxp 30Gb capture HDD
    Matrox marvel G400-tv (PD 5.54 and 1.52 VT's)

[This message has been edited by The Scientist (edited 29 July 2000).]

Comment

---------------
      [B]AVATAR-X, I too would like to know what hardware, capture settings etc. people are using to capture full res video (704x576 25fps) with HUFFYUV.
      ---------------

I don't use PAL, but I've had success using a WinTV at 640x480x30 (or 29.97), capturing to YUY2 directly and then feeding it to HuffYUV during capture (using VirtualDub). However, the processing requirement does not seem to be light. On a Celeron 566 clocked to 850, it uses (according to VirtualDub) 75%-80% of the processor while capturing through HuffYUV. Capturing directly to YUY2/RGB with this card uses about 6-7% of the processor. (This is using HuffYUV's "best" algorithm for YUY2)

Comment

Make sure you have the latest version of AVI_IO. Older versions don't handle HUFFYUV verry well. You may have to contact the author to get an incremental upgrade, which is what I did.

Comment

Working...
        X