Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way too many dropped frames in XP :( HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way too many dropped frames in XP :( HELP!

I just recently installed WinXP, because of NTFS among other things. Now I tried to capture using VirtualDub. Codecs were HuffYUV and MP3, resolution 352x288, color format YUY2.

This worked absolutely flawless on the same machine using Win98SE, but gives about 1/3 dropped frames under XP! What did I do wrong? What can I do about this?

CPU load only hovers about ~20% or so.

My system:

Duron 750
    ECS K7S5A
    256MB DDR RAM
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI
    Kyro II
    Cheap Soundcard
    CDRW
    DVD
    40GB 60GXP

Please help me!

AZ

I don't know windows XP very good, as this is my first encounter with it.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Jitter is VERY high and fluctuates much. With compatibility mode, Jitter is very low, and there are much less dropped frames, but still one to three per second.

I've tried using 15 frames instead of 25 fps, no dropped frames.

AZ

Comment

OH! My harddisk is in PIO mode! Why? And how do I change this?

AZ

Comment

(We told you not to install WinXP, didn't we? )

You WILL get dropped frames when using mp3 compression on-the-fly. My suggestion would be to capture with the audio uncompressed and compress it afterwards, this will give you much less dropped frames.

Do you have the SBLive already installed? This card is a known reason for lots of dropped frames while capturing.

For the PIO issue: Which mainboard/chipset do you have?
        Here it is under "Geräte Manager" / "IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller". A double click on "Primärer IDE-Kanal" will give you the following settings window:
        There you can choose between "DMA, wenn verfügbar" und "Nur PIO".
        Set this to DMA and do the same for the "Sekundärer IDE-Kanal" if you have any disks connected to it.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Let's go on with this discussion in my XP thread in general hardware, please

The Live! is not yet in the system, and I tried without audio also. Like I said in the other thread, I HAVE set my IDE channels set to "DMA, if available", yet all my drives are in PIO mode...

AZ

Comment

I have seen this issue in the XP thread, but only after my post here..
            Still, have you tried capturing the audio uncompressed, 'cause the use of mp3 WILL cause dropped frames, no matter what vid-/sound-/capture card and/or drivers and or CPU you have.
            My System
            German ATI-forum

Comment

I captured with uncompressed sound, and with audio off.

PLEASE, anyone with an SiS system under XP... HELP!

AZ

Comment

Why does it have to be WinXP? Why not use Win2k instead?
                As I understood it from the other thread you wanted WinXP mainly because of the NTFS support. Well, Win2k does this and generally is less problematic in high-bandwidth applications like vid-caturing.

(I just saw that you're capturing in only 352x288 and you definitely should NOT have any problems with this, not even with a Creative soundcard installed. I can capture in 768x576 here, even uncompressed with Win2k. Granted, I have an AthlonXP2000+ but still I could do it way back with my Duron800@1000)
                My System
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Well.. I don't HAVE Win2k, that's why, mainly

The other problem is, with Hauppauge's XP driver, VirtualDub tells me I can't capture anything higher than 352x288. Would the 2k driver work in XP?

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az
                    [BThe other problem is, with Hauppauge's XP driver, VirtualDub tells me I can't capture anything higher than 352x288. Would the 2k driver work in XP?
                    [/B]
                    Yes, the W2k (VfW) driver works fine in WinXP. I'm using it on my XP system, and have no problems capturing NTSC at 640x480 with HuffYUV under AVIIO.

John

Comment

Thanks, John

AZ

Comment

But be sure to install the VFW capture driver, since the WDM one for Win2k will limit you to half PAL captures as well.
                        My System
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Thanks for the advise

As soon as I get my harddisks sorted, I'll start capturing - and if all goes well and I'm feeling like editing, you'll all get a video from a girl smaller than any you've ever seen

Will take some time though, as this will be my first time editing...

AZ

Comment

Working...
                          X