which video editing card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which video editing card?

just tossed out my old g400 and rr-g and purchased a parhelia, now I need a video editing card to replace the rr-g. I am mainly a hobbiest editing home videos, but am very conscious of picture quality. I have looked at the rt.x10, but it reccommends a p4 2.2ghz processor and i currently have a p4 1.6. The rt2500 has just dropped in price and is starting to look attractive.
    Just looking at input as to why one card may be better than the other and why. Also, are there any other cards outside of matrox to consider.

I appreciate any opinions, thank you.

current system specs:

asus p4te, p4 1.6 ghz
    512 mg ram
    40g harddrives (2)
    matrox parhelia
    sb audigy
    sony 17seII
    everything else-inconsequential

Last edited by gt40; 15 September 2002, 01:07.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Actually, their minimum spec is a P4 1.8....just OC a bit and you're there and beyond...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Personally I'd go for the RT.X10 over the RT-2500 unless MPEG-2 editing is important to you (it shouldn't be).

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

after some careful reading and reviewing
        i have decided on the rt.x10

thanks again!
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

ok now I have a prob.
          apparently the s/w won't even load unless your processor is 1.8 or above (p3 or p4).
          I have already ordered the card and tryed to o/c and the best I can do is about 1749 (pci bus is not independantly adjustable - and so peripherals lock up at about 110 mhz fsb)

any way to get around this??
          don't really want to buy a new processor, but a p4 1.6 must be better than a p3 1.8??!!

Comment

Do you have any SCSI cards in the system???

Comment

yep, adaptec 19160 ultra 160
              , however seems like ide dies at 112 fsb (boots, but can't find win2k start up files)

Comment

Usually the SCSI cards go first.....unless you're running a WD HD you should be OK at much higher PCI speeds...

Comment

hit the nail on the head - 2 wd 40gig drives

looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade to a 2.0g p4

BWAAAA!

Comment

Make sure to get the 2.0a, not the 2.0....

Comment

without question!

Comment

What type of motherboard are you using? On my Asus P4B266-C I had problems Oc'ing my 1.6A until I went up to 133Mhz busspeed. This worked without any problems since the PCI bus stayed at 33Mhz (In spec for the PCI cards) and the system is a rock at 2.133Mhz.

Bear in mind that anything over 100Mhz will increase the busspeed since the divider for the peripherals is at 1/3 until you hit 133Mhz. At that speed the divider goes to 1/4. That shoud resolve any problems you may have.

Just a thought.

Rick
                        Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Asus p4te, unfortunetly the pci speed is completely dependant on the bus speed.
                          however I did find that the x tools will install at 1.7 ghz, so a simple overclocking to 108 mhz bus speed did the trick (1.72 Ghz cpu).
                          now if I could only get the analog capture to work!

Comment

I am surprised that a company like Asus wouldn't include some way to change the PCI/Memory divider in the bios settings.

Since the Mobo is capable of going to 133Mhz busspeed you would think that they would have either had it automatically set, or have give you the option in setting it manually via jumpers or with a bios setting.

Bummer!
                            Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

"any way to get around this??
                              don't really want to buy a new processor, but a p4 1.6 must be better than a p3 1.8??!!"

Funny as it sounds, No.
                              A p3 per clock cycle is far faster. Limitations of getting a p3 core to 1.5gigs+ is the problem, as well as some memory bandwidth issues at that speed.
                              The P4 was designed for one thing, running at high mhz because the unwashed masses will buy whatever has the highest number and not what actually does the most per mhz.
                              Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Working...
                              X