No announcement yet.

Prosumer HD cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

720p (which is the proper name for this resolution) IS a valid HD resolution, it's just one that isn't being adopted by anyone. It is however, better than 480p, which is what the Panasonic dvx100 does. The Panasonic still has the advantage as far as I'm concerned, however, since it records in standard DV format, making editing easier. When we have more details about the JVC system, this apparent advantage may disappear.

Comment

OOps, sorry guys, i deleted wrong post, the one with the photo of blu-ray products (left the one without the attachment). It seemed that the photo of JVC's camcorder was inadvertently placed with those of the blu-ray prods since they were all demonstrated at the same exhibition.
      Last edited by Sasq; 4 March 2005, 20:39.
      mits,
      System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
      model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

"The new camcorder records the video as MPEG-2 digital video onto new, special MiniDV tapes

Well this sort of defeats its quality as far as any advancement given to the user for compositing, does it not? I mean I want to go HD because it will allow me to step into a higher leauge as far as blue screen goes. 4:1:1 with 5-1 compression makes this hard to say the least. How crappy is MPEG-2 going to be?
        Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Many of the upcoming MPEG-2 camcorders will be using 4:2:2 I-frame or 4:2:2 Studio profile and not the usual 4:2:0 IBP. These would be an excellent MPEG-2 editing formats.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Uh, that is very good news. I hope very much it ends up being correct. Thanks Doc.
            What kind of compression ratio can we expect from this format?
            P.S. damn I'm excited!
            Cinelerra now this.
            Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Working...
            X