TMpegenc- anyone else notice this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMpegenc- anyone else notice this?

I've just noticed that the "Motion search" precision setting in tMpegencoder also influences the brightness of the video! The higher the setting, the brighter the video!
    I noticed this as I let two identical videos run simultaneously on my computer, and they didn't have the same brightness...

For the rest, this is one impressive piece of software!

Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Is it possible to use Tmpgenc with the frameserver on virtualdub?

Comment

Yes, version "beta 12" directly supports VirtualDub VDR files nicely. Just run the "proxyon.reg" file after starting VirtualDub, then go into frameserver mode.

For older versions of tMpegencoder: Ben Rudiak has written a DLL plugin to make those work, too http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/avisynth/tmpgenc-readavs.zip)

Comment

Nice...
        But is it possible to crop a avi with tmpgenc when encoding? (i mean i would like to change those 4 lines at the bottom that are corrupted) or is this by any how possible todo in virtualdub? if so tell me how todo this

Comment

Flying dutchman,
          how can you run simultaneously two videos on the same machine?
          Sure you must have a lot of CPU power and RAM, but which program can do this?
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just as a note: all versions of tmpeg I have used will work with frame server, but only when in VCM mode. (with stiped avis) If the new beta does support normal frame server, that would be incredible. On the other hand, the newest alpha of bbmpeg is VASTLY improved. It has working VBR with minimum and maximum bitrate caps, and much improved visual quality.

Comment

Just as a question of timing;

does anyone really think all these recent quality and feature improvents would have happened if SVCD hadn't arrived on the scene?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Probably not. Fear of SVCD-bearing competitors and the high cost of messing with MPEG-2 created demand for better quality in the tried, true and end-user-compatible MPEG-1 format. I like the competition too. I'm a registered Panasonic customer. I bet the guys and gals at PDN are at their workstations right now making improvements. When I first started playing with VCD, I was told it will never be any better than VHS. Well, in a couple of weeks I will be churning out VCD's that blow VHS away.

Comment

Sorry to have to say this but Panasonic issued a statement to the effect that their encoder would not be updated to MPEG-2...

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah, I remember when we talked about that here. It doesn't bother me. I just hope they (Panasonic) continue to make what they have better and better. When the first DV AVI is captured to my hardrive and I run it through one of these encoders and and get me an MPEG-1 that looks fantastic, I will be a happy camper. I will share my VCD's proudly and will not for one minute feel that I have wasted my DV on an inferior compression method. And as long as I am not playing my VCD's for one of the bucketful of folks in the world with 20/15 in both eyes , I expect I will get some accolades for my accomplishment.

Comment

Fred,

plain old Windows Media Player easily plays two mpeg-1 VCD files simultaneously on my PC (466-MHz celeron, 128 mb)! I found it rather irritating that two clips, that were identical except for the motion search setting, were so different in brightness and contrast.

The current beta version of tMpegencoder works fine with VirtualDub in proxy mode. The sharpness and color quality of the output is amazing, lots better than panasonic. Only the encoding is very slow, and I have the impression that DECODING is more CPU-intensive than with any of the other encoders.
                      My 166-MHz notebook drops frames if I playback a tMpegenc VCD using the CDROM drive. If I copy the clip to the hard drive first and play it from there, it doesn't drop any frames. My other VCD's don't have this "problem" but they don't look nearly as good.

I encoded and burned a SVCD without any problem too, but hey, what software do you use to play it ???

Comment

Good question, what app?
                        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

PowerDVD 2.55 or WinDVD 2000 will play SVCD's on a PC. YOu could always try a standalone DVD player also!
                          Phil
                          AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Is it possible to crop a movie with tmpgenc?
                            cause i have like 4 lines down at the screen that always are pretty messed up when capturing with huffyuv codec (so i want to get rid of those), (and please tell me how todo if possible :P

Comment

I found a fairly good player called SthVCD Player. It's free and very small. It seems to have alot of features and is geared towards SVCD. I am still having problems getting I-Author to take the TMPGEnc files that I create, it wants to use it's own mux app, which is just an extra step in my opinion. Another thing is the quality does not seem to be that impressive (TMPGEnc MPEG 2)... I believe it is settings, but I used the SVCD NTSC 29.97 pre-config. I think that the file needs to be a xxx.mps and the bitrate is a little high for it to be SVCD compliant--just from what I read today on the net. I did get it to work, but is it possible to use MPEG1, or is that just a plain old VCD?

One other thing, I was checking to see which stand alone DVD players would play SVCD and there was a note saying that some Hitachi DVD players would. I thought that model number looked awefully familiar...Sweeeeet

CORRECTION: demux and then use I-Author mux app and it looks great and plays on everything in my house (which isn't all that much)

[This message has been edited by Sciascia (edited 12 August 2000).]
                              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Working...
                              X