RT.X10 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT.X10 Questions

So my grandfather upgraded to Windows XP Pro and his old Asus V6600 doesn't work any more. He wants to get a Matrox RT.X10. This looks like a great card with maybe a little more power than he needs, but it looks like a great card and I've only heard great things about Matrox so I told him sounds good. Can someone tell me how well this card works? Is the software fairly user friendly? What are the feature sets like? What will it do better than his old card? He is already familiar with Premiere so there shouldn't be much of a learning curve there.

The only problem is that his system is a bit dated. He's got a P3 733 with 512MB RDRAM. I know that the minimum system specs are a P3 1Ghz. He thinking about getting a Powerleap adapter with a P3 1.26Ghz. The thing is, that thing costs about $280 and for that money we could slap a new motherboard in there and a P4 1.8a. I've been reading through some posts here and it seems that the usefullness of the card can be limitted with a slower system. Could someone tell me what the benefits are of using a faster system?

Thanks
    (This is my first post here so forgive me if I'm off base)

Off base? Maybe, there's a Desktop Video forum which will probably offer more help in these matters.

Btw, is he using an i820 machine? I regret not getting one of those...

I fine welcome to you my man though
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

huh? so ur grandfather's V6600 is dead and you are trying to replace it with an RT.X100? just wondering... do you know that the V6600 is a graphics card and the RT is a capture card? Do you mean you want to get a parhelia? Because RT.X100 costs ~1000 US and i am pretty sure that's not he card you want... besides it doesn't do any 2d acceleration and render 3d games

Comment

Yes, the X100 is that much, but the <B>X10</B> goes for half of that.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, I should maybe have mentioned that

The X.10 is an addon card, and strictly does the video editing. You'd need a standard graphics card to go along with that (Matrox G550/Parhelia, or ATi 9700 for example).

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Welcome to MURC.

As stated, the RT cards are editing cards, not video cards.
            They can not work alone in a system.
            The users of these cards post in the Desktop Video forum. This thread will be moved to that forum now.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I guess I was a bit vague. There is no driver support for the capture features on his V6600. That's why I just need a video editing only card. Can someone expand upon my original post now that I've cleared this up.

Comment

I just moved up from a rainbow runner-g - for the same reason- no driver/capture support - to the rtx.10, and after struggling for so long with various issues (with the rr-g), I am quite amazed at the capabilities of the rtx.10.
                The speed of the processor will dictate how many effects you can apply to more/less video/audio sources you can do in REAL time. These are things I could never do in real time with my g400/rr-g.
                For simple home/hobby use a 1.8 processor will yield more than adaquite results.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

And if you happen to be able to handle getting an RT.X100 you won't be amazed....you'll be flattened

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have an RT.x10 and an RT2500, used to use the G450eTV. I would suggest getting a Motherboard on the RT.x10 Matrox list, 512 RAM and the fastest processor you can afford. As far as the video card goes the G450s are getting pretty cheap and are very compatible with this setup.

Although the P3-1.26 is about the best P3 chip out there and performs about the same as a P4-1.9. (trouble is, its not that cheap of a CPU)

Go to the RT/x10 forum and read a few of the posts, especially "pre-sales" - might be interesting.

I think the RT.x10 is a remarkable Video Accellorator with fantasic slow-motion and excellent quality video.

Ted
                    Premiere PRO XP Pro
                    Asus P4s533
                    P4-2.8
                    Matrox G450
                    RT.x100
                    45 GIG System Drive
                    120 Export Drive
                    Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                    17" P4-3 HT