Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Capturing Interlaceing Problem

Hi All,

I have been at some DV capturing, somthing I'm quite new at and would be happy with some help.

I am capturing via firewire from a Panasonic NV DS 28 PAL. I am using Win98SE and WinXP and Ulead DVD Movie Factory and connected via the socket on the Audigy Sound Card.

The problem is that in the capturing software window the picture is interlaced, quite visible when there is horizontal movment across the screen. This is more pronounced on Win98SE. I have spent hours trying to find the source with not much sucsess.

I have enablewd field-based scaling on the DualHead DVDMax Options and at least the picture on my Compsite monitor looks good.

I have the following setup:

Asus P4S533-E
    P4 2 gHz
    Audigy SB with Firewire
    Marvel G400-TV

Regards,

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

You are wasting your time trying to "fix" it. The MS DV codec does a very poor job of decoding video to the computer monitor.

As you say, you get good video monitoring the DVDMAX on composite output so you're doing as good as I do.

In theory if you manage to completely replace the MSDV codec with something else that is better then you'd solve the problem. In practice as far as I know there is no 3rd party DirectShow DV codec available. Main Concept codec as used in Vegas is better -- on computer playback in Vegas is much improved over Media Player but since MC codec is "VfW" it doesn't play out DVDMAX :-(
    It also is "rigged" to only work with Vegas. You can buy a standalone MC codec but its still VfW only.

--wally.

Comment

Hi Wally,

Thanks for your reply. So it appears that there is no inexpencive way to have a good DV picture and the only solution will be to de-interlace in a good encoder, eg. TMPGEnc

Regards,

Debbie

Comment

You only want to deinterlace if computer display (like a powerpoint presentation) is your goal.

If you want MPEG2 for DVD leave your DV project interlaced -- it'll look better on stand alone players *and* PC mpeg decoders do a much better job than the MSDV codec when playing back to the computer monitor. Your DVDMAX composite out will still be better, but full screen MPEG2 in media player, PowerDVD etc. looks quite good even if the DV you made it from doesn't.

--wally.

Comment

So If I leave full frame PAL interlaced, that looks quite bad as avi, if I encode in MPEG 2 at a high bitrate the picture quality shuld improve ?

Comment

Yes for playback on your computer -- because the MSDV codec does a poor job of decoding to the computer monitor, wheras the mpeg2 decoder is not written by microsoft and does a good job of decoding to the computer monitor.

AVI back thru the DV cam via 1394 the analog outs of your camcorder will look a bit better than the mpeg or DV played out over DVDMAX.

--wally.

Comment

I am considering purchasing the RTX 10... Any comments ?
              Would it give me interlacing problems?

Debbie

Comment

I am using the rtx.10 but haven't captured any DV footage yet, however, I have not seen any interlacing problems as of yet.
                I love it- compared to the rr-g I had before.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                X