newly bought IBM 75GXP @ 4MB/s??? this can't be right. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newly bought IBM 75GXP @ 4MB/s??? this can't be right. :(

I just got myself a new system: PIII 733, Asus CUSL2, 128MB RAM, SB LIVE and a 20gig 7200rpm IBM 75GXP (deskstar?) and my Marvel G400.

Anyway, this drive should be capbable of up to 37MB/s (so says their website), yet when I capture with the latest version of Virtual Dub, latest Huffy set to Median(best), and YuY2 crack, I have 50% dropped frames@704x480 29.97fps. This is about 20MB/s and the drive should be able to handle it.

Matrox Benchmarker puts the drive at 4MB/s.
    Why is this and how can I make it stop!!?!?!
    Thanks a bunch.
    -Brett

p.s. I just turned DMA on and now I'm getting 21MB/s.. still a bit slow. but still, 50% frame drop. 20MB/s is enough to support fullframe YUY2 without even using Huffy and even though I'm using it, no difference. Help!

[This message has been edited by intomisery (edited 19 August 2000).]

Personally 21MB/s sounds about right to me (definetly not 37MB/s). A few questions, what OS are you using and what Driver/Vid Tools are you using.

Your 50% drops problem sounds like the problem this board discussed about VidTools 1.54 (namely that YUY2 was broken in it). The general concensus was to use VidTools 1.52 when doing YUY2 or Huffy.

[This message has been edited by AVATAR-X (edited 19 August 2000).]
    "Welcome to the edge of infinity...welcome to the Nexus"

http://home.pacbell.net

Comment

Hi intomisery,

the 21MB/s is very high. The 37 MB as IBM says can (these days) never be achieved with a normal IDE drive (www.storagereview.com).

But from what you write I make up that you have only one drive. The 20GB drive that tell us about, is that the only drive you have in your system? If so I would suggest that you get at least a separate drive for your OS. This is what a lot of others will recommend as well. The number of frames you drop is rather high. Maybe you can give some more detail about the drivers and/or settings you record with.

Comment

I have a 40GB Maxtor disk with Asus CUSL2 - Matrox HD benchmark rates it at 19-22MB/sec. However it doesn't like my RAID setup which comprises of 2 IBM 75GXP 30GB HDD's. It rates this RAID-0 array as 3.9MB/sec, yet other benchmarks show it to be 60% faster than the Maxtor. I assumed HD benchmark didn't like the fact that the drives are striped, perhaps it's the drives themselves it doesn't like.

Comment

Working...
        X