p4 3.0 hrtz with hyperthreading question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p4 3.0 hrtz with hyperthreading question

e new p4 3 .0 chip is out and it has hyperthreading. I'm about to build a system based around a matrox rt.x100. Will the hyperthread help video editing or capture at all. Should I get that? Do you have any thoughts or ideas on my future system? I was thinking of :
    asus p4 533c or gigabyte motherboard
    p4 2.53 or 2.6 chip unless hyperthreading is important
    1 gig 1066 rambus ram
    lots of hd ( 2 removable)
    sony dru500a (both dvd+ and -)
    creative labs 5.1
    matrox g550 ( or poss parhelia)
    matrox rt.x100 with dvdit pe upgrade
    xp pro

I plan on having a 19 crt, a 17" crt and a 20" tv using premier 6.5 and photshop 7 . This is mostly for graphics and editing and won't be used for games. ( I've a p/s 2 and a big tv or another system for that) Any suggestions are welcome. thanks Nunchal
    asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
    4x512 1066 samsung Rambus Ram ( @533)
    120gb or 80 gb system maxtor (ata 133 ) ( removable caddie)
    240 gb ( with 8 mb buffer) raid-o
    250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
    Sony Mutli Format DVD burner
    samsung 40x cdrw burner
    Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard
    Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
    Matrox Rt.x100
    Ati Radeon 9800 pro
    19" Nec Fe991sb crt / 17" Crystalscan / Tv monitor
    Antec Server case SX1040BII and 400 watt power supply
    Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

I think it will help if the software supports multiple processors. Also, instead of going with rambus, you could wait a while for the granite bay motherboards (dual channel ddr). Due out sometime at the end of this month, if u believe the rumours.
    -Slougi

Comment

The RT.X100 drivers and Premiere 6.5 both support dual processors in WinXP. Dualies are not supported by the RT.X100 drivers in Win2K.

Don't see why it wouldn't work with HT enabled P4's. HT has been on the P4 die for some time, but disabled.

HT would be VERY useful to the RT.X100 because it would speed the software effects (luma/chromakey etc.) significantly. It would also allow Matrox to implement the use of more than 2 realtime video layers in a stack. Currently it's 2 video, 2 graphics and multiple effects; up to 16 depending on the combination.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 November 2002, 13:42.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Moved to Desktop Video forum
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Also note that you need certain MB to enable HT. I believe the newest 845pe? allows this and does not use RDram. As well as the already released Xeon MB's. As stated they work only with 3.06+ Ghrtz chips. But this is gonna cost you a butt load O'cash!
          A wiser choice(in my opinion) would be a dual AMD soulution with the highly rated AMD chipset. Spend the arm-loads of cash you will save on better/faster hd's, and as much ram as you can fit in. Also a Parhelia would go well with it ;^)
          Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Yes, HT does require an updated chipset.

Response from Matrox on HT use with RT.X100;

Advantage: YES.
            Advantage for RTX: Reduces system a load.
            Problems: NO.

Actually the most compatable single CPU setup is either the Intel or SiS 745 chipset. Elie can put in his 2 cents worth about his Tyan/AMD chipped dualie setup.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

BTW Funk/n², the abreviation is gHz

giga (as in billions) Heinrich R. Hertz as in an odd ball German fella who came up with this comfounded idea of units of frequency
              Last edited by Greebe; 12 November 2002, 18:37.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by funky-d-munky
                Also note that you need certain MB to enable HT. I believe the newest 845pe? allows this and does not use RDram. As well as the already released Xeon MB's. As stated they work only with 3.06+ Ghrtz chips. But this is gonna cost you a butt load O'cash!
                850e supports it.

Comment

Working...
                X