Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA MVP3 & Marvel G200

Hello,

I have been following this forum for quite a while and have started experimenting with a Marvel G200. I have seen Dr. Mordrid talking about possible problems with the VIA MVP3 chipset. My guess is that is has something to do with the implementation of the PCI bus and/or IDE-interface. I happen to be one of those with such a chipset and my problem is that when I capture using the YUY2 hack of the Flying Dutchman and compress this using Huffyuv 1.3.1, the video lags the sound...(352x288@25fps) When I try to capture 704x576 I get drops all over the place :-( and sometimes avi_io crashes. When I capture MJPEG (704x576@25fps max quality) everything is fine.
    My question to ALL you out there:

What is your experience with the VIA MVP3 chipset. Please tell me your configuration (hardware: processor, harddrive, bios settings (PCI latency and stuff); software: drivers of VIA and Matrox Marvel G200; capture software and codecs) and performance of capture (resolution; framerate; drops in %)

And btw, why is it NOT possible to use the YUY2 hack on NT4?? I would like to use NT for this kind of stuff..

Thanx for your time! ;-)

My configuration:

DFI P5BV3+ rev B.
    AMD K6-III 400@428
    192 Mb
    Matrox Marvel G200
    Guillemot Maxi Sound Home Studio 64 (ISA)
    IDE: Seagate Barracuda ST328040A
    SCSI on Adaptec 2940:
    2 x Fujitsu MAB3045SP

AVI_IO 3.01
    Videotools 1.52
    YUY2 Hack
    Huffyuv 1.3.1 (yes, i'm going to try 2.1)

I had tons of problems with the VIA MVP3 and Apollo chipsets where bus and drive performance were concerned.

Ex: UDMA/33 throughput went up almost 20% when going from a FIC-PA2013-r2/K6-2 350 to an Abit BH6-r2/Celeron 333. So did bus performance.

Since then I've migrated most of my Windows systems to, and have had excellent results with, the Asus P3B-F 6PCI/1ISA board.

Also, some bus performance related issues the FIC/K6-2 setup had suffered cleared right up with the Intel chipped mainboard. I had similar experiences with an Asus P5A-B mainboard with a K6-3 400.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 11 August 2000).]

Comment

When I was running win 95 B and installed the VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller drivers, My hard drive performance tanked, dropping to as low as 1.5 to 2.5 MB/sec, compared to 8.5 to 9.5 MB/sec using the Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller drivers. Nobody could offer any explaination for this, let alone a solution, until I upgraded to Win 98. Win 98 seems to eliminated the glitch, but I think the next computer I build will have an Intel chipset.

Comment

I run an Epox (so old, forget the model now) VIA MP3 Chip board with AMD K63-400
        256 MB Ram
        13 GB WD 5400 HDD
        27 GB WD 7200 HDD
        Adaptec 2940U SCSI
        NEC SCSI 32x reader
        Yamaha 24x8x4 CDRW
        3Com 3c509b NIC

For the longest time, I had 2 V2-1000's in the machine, and could not use Powerdesk 5.x or the Vidtools, because it would lock up. I took out the V2's and was able to use the newest tools. Now, I need to run Win2k and I can't use the Vidtools - some message about already in use or not enough Video memory (I get it right after a reboot too, even running 640x480x65k)... I am totally displeased with this fact, so I went and bought a hauppauge WinTV card, which works great under Win2k, but MGI VideoWave no longer works... any suggestions on a high end product that works under Win2k? I'm tired of getting shafted because my capture card is 18 months old...

Comment

hehehe....

I still have a couple of Rainbow Runner Studio machines still doing video like troopers. The age of the card isn't the point, it's the hardware it runs on that often determines how they work. Those old RRS's still work good so they still have a home...and none of 'em are on SS7 boards anymore.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
          X