semi off topic question about a/v cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semi off topic question about a/v cables

i need to wire a building with svid/rca cables for a couple of plasma tvs, i finally found a place that can sell me the svid cable in bulk (i need 2 100' lengths) for $1 a foot (strange since even radio shack has svid cable in bulk lengths of 30' for only $6) but i'm having problems finding audio cables. so far the best i've been able to find is 14 guage 4 wire speaker wire (sepperatly shielded in a sepperate tume to contain them all) for $0.50 a foot.

i was wondering if anyone who has experience in this length of cables could tell me if:
    1) they are too thick for that length (i was told this by a tech at that same store)?
    2) would the audio quality be reduced since it's 4 cables, vs the coaxle design of RCA cables X2?
    3) is the price for the bulk svid cables way too high?

i need to get started with this asap since the precious people took forever to get to work, then wired the place with a single coaxle cable for all 3 tvs (they have a sepperate reciever for each tv) then to fix it they wanted $1200 labor plus $600 for the cables.

thank you

1) they are too thick for that length (i was told this by a tech at that same store)?
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Thanks I needed a good laugh

No this is totally untrue... it should be of an even higher gauge (like 12 at least) for this distance.

Reason: any given copper wires' DC resistance increases by length and by smaller diameter.

2) would the audio quality be reduced since it's 4 cables, vs the coaxle design of RCA cables X2?
    Are we wiring speakers or line level inputs?

3) is the price for the bulk svid cables way too high?
    Depending on application that could be considered very cheap. How about some additional info as to how and what you'll be doing with this.

P.S. not off topic if posted in the proper forum (GH/S)
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

well since then i've found actual RCA cables in bulk that claim to be completely sonically "transparant" for $.79 a foot, however these are only 24ga

i've also found a cable that is essentially 2 svid cables connected side by side ala a stereeo RCA cable so i could run svid on one set of 4 wires, and the stereo audio on the other 4, it comes in spools of 100' and is only $18 a spool so i'm faily sceptical about the performance of it (although the web site DOES have a 45 day money back guarantee)
      these are to wire audio from the digital cable boxes to plasma tv's using the tv speakers, so line lvl inputs.

this is for a bar where they want each tv to be sepperatly controllable, so it needs to be wired with each tv sepperatly (would be stupid to do otherwise anyways)

the price of the integrated cables would total $38 while if i went with the higher quality rca i found and Monster brand svid cables, the price would be near $600.

i'm doing this as a fovor to them since i'm friends with the owners and they don't want it screwed up again by the people who did it wrong in the first place. (not to mention that they didn't even FINISH doing it with the wrong cables the first time then didn't return the phone calls for a couple weeks). speed is a priority here and they don't care so much about the cable costs, so there's no real point in getting the cheaper stuff (art school mentality still... get the cheapest you can then ghetto rig it to be good).

basically, which would be better?
      here's the info about the rca wire:

$0.79/ft
      Scosche colorful, translucent Iced Purple insulated dual channel RCA cable features sonically "transparent" construction. Dual ultra flexible OFHC 99.95% oxygen free copper strand shield plus aluminum foil construction. Includes drain wire for source grounding or remote amplifier turn-on. Ideal for making custom high quality audio cables. 24 ga center conductor with red shield. 5mm OD per channel. Please order a minimum of 5 feet.

$0.50/ft
      Acoustic Research offers a true audiophile in wall speaker cable with high-purity copper conductors and aqua outer jacket.

AR PRO Series In Wall Speaker Cable is meaty enough at 14 gauge to provide optimum signal transfer, but remains thin and flexible enough to navigate tight spots and corners. This UL-rated in wall cable comes in two configurations: two wire conductor for runs directly to speakers and four wire conductor for runs from amps to remote volume controls.

Comment

Working...
      X