PAL format to NTSC whats involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAL format to NTSC whats involved?

I gather that going from PAL to NTSC would be easier than the reverse. Is this true as far as fps go?
    Is there an app than converts automatically. Or do you just adjust the frame rate upon render/export?

Cheers Ken
    Oh my god MAGNUM!

I am sure this has been asked befor, but the Search feature will not allow useless 3 letter words like "PAL" ;^)

I know I can rip DVD's at 24 frames a second and they play fine on TV, but I'm always using NTSC resolution or much lower.
    Is it as simple a matter as upping the frame rate and lower resolution on export from NLE? Or should the footage be converted befor editing?
    Any help or general explanations would be wellcomed.
    Ken
    Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Whoa, Whoa, settle down guys there is plenty of room to post ;^)

I have found some answers on my own. I hate it when you guys make me do that.
      A company located at dvfilm.com has a nice and rather cheap product(s) for just such tasks.

They also make another for converting interlaced video into progressive scan. Check them out and let me know what you think.
      Ken
      Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

You don't say what video capture hardware you use but here's a rough and ready technique I use with my Matrox Marvel G200:

1. Edit in PAL 704 x 576 using a good NLE. I haven't been able to get any further with PAL-to-NTSC conversion in Premiere, so...
        2. I Deinterlace and Resize the edited footage to 704 x 480 using Virtual Dub.
        3. Next, I Import the processed video file/s into Avid Cinema (an entry-level NLE that came with my video card) after setting the project input/output formats to NTSC.
        4. Finally, I simply connect an NTSC-capable video deck and dump to tape.

Works for me...
        Last edited by Frank Marshall; 9 December 2002, 07:40.
        Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Working...
        X