Video signal degradation solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video signal degradation solved

I don't know if this is off topic or not (I guess everyone in this forum should be concerned with the quality of the output of there video signal), but I have had a Creative Labs Dxr2 DVD decoder card sitting in my primary box for years (even after upgrading my box, I kept re-installing it - just because I had PCI slots to spare). If you are not familiar with the Dxr2 card, you connect the output of your video card to the input of the Dxr2 and the connect the monitor to the output of the Dxr2 (just like the old voodoo cards)

Well I have been running XP since it was released and waiting ever patiently for XP drivers (about as likely as XP RRG drivers from matrox). Well today I finally had enough of waiting and ripped it out and put it in a Win2K box.

I rebooted my primary machine and I couldn't believe what I saw.
    The crispest text I have ever seen (1600x1200@85Hz on a Philips 21" powered by a G400MAX). I upped the res to 2048x1536@72Hz and it still looked fantastic.

I always assumed that my less than perfect image was caused by the interference of a jungle of a gazillion cable behind my desk and a KVM switch (even though the KVM was supposed to be very best when I bought it - I admit it, I thought the KVM was a contributing factor -- sorry Cybex/Avocent for ever questioning your quality)

So the culprit was the Dxr2 card all along. BTW the win2k box that received the Dxr2 has a TNT2 card that normally runs at 1600x1200@75Hz (and still looked worse than my G400/Dxr2 combo) now has to be run at 1280x960@85Hz, because it was too hard on the eyes.

Does anyone know the video bandwidth that the Dxv2 is supposed to be capable of?
    Workhorse Athlon 1GHz, G400MAX
    Gamebox Athlon 1.3GHz Gforce3

The limiting factor is mostly the little pass-through cable that connects the vga adapter to the mpeg decoder card.
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
    X