Has anyone used the Marvel G400-TV for 'video phone'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used the Marvel G400-TV for 'video phone'

I have just purchased a Logitech Webcam for my Dad and want to use the Marvel with our video camera to do video calls. My questions are:

1. What is a good software program to use and where can I download it?
    2. Is it possible to do 'direct' phone calls instead of logging through the net. Presumably, this would be a better connection (speedwise)?

If anyone has any experience with webcams and their Marvel, I would love to hear from you.

Regards

Rod

Hi,

I use netmeeting, it's free and you don't have to rely on a server if you want to make a direct call over the net, just type the persons IP address and you connect.
    With my Marvel G400 I use an old camcorder which is perfect because the other end will receive a colour image, and I can use the built in mic if I want to.

If your running Win98 you may have it already on your system, but it's better to upgrade it the latest version.

Cheers,
    Elie

Comment

Elie

Do you have to have a hotmail account and MSN Messenger to use Netmeeting? When I try and 'make a call' it says I have do to this?

Also, when you say IP address, what are you referring to? My dad doesn't have a website so does one have to be created? Maybe this is the reason you have to have a hotmail account?

Thanks

Rod

Comment

Hi,
        Every machine which is connected to internet must have an IP address.
        The problem is, for dial-up user, it is changing each time you dial in (dynamic IP).
        So each time you and your dad login, he must somehow let you know his IP address.
        Of course, first, he need to find out his IP address.

He can use the winipcfg command or other shareware for that. But I think it is still troublesome to ask someone to do that, especially if he is not that well versed with the PC knowledge.

My suggestion is such:
        * Both of you install ICQ.
        * Then let him install ICQ and from ICQ preferences setting, make sure he doesn't "hide IP".
        * Then of course you must add him to your contact list.
        * Whenever you see him online, go check his "info" and you will see his IP address in the info box.
        * Send him a message to run Netmeeting.
        * You initiate the call to his IP address.

Hope this help.

Melter
        P.S: If you are using dial-up, you will be effectively using 33.6kbps (although you are connected at 56kbps) because the upstream speed is 33.6kbps. You will later find that internet video phone is not a practical idea.
        Then maybe you will be better off sticking with ICQ and do the good old text chat.

Comment

I'd really advise anyone using ICQ to make sure that they DO use the "hide IP" option. This was kind of covered on a thread about general security some months back, but basically if you leave the ICQ port open then you can expect your machine to be regularly scanned by hackers, and who knows what else after that.

If you don't believe this (I didn't to start with) then at the least download and install some port intrusion reporting software. You'd be amazed at the results, which may prompt you to either tighten up your security or install a firewall !

Comment

Working...
          X