x.10 Vs x.100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x.10 Vs x.100

I am trying to decide whether to get the x.10 or x.100...

What feature's do I miss out on with the x.10?
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

The full list is here;

The biggies for the RT.X100 are realtime export of DV to HDD and IEEE-1394, realtime MPEG-2 to HDD, many more Flex3D effects with better keyframing, realtime chroma/luma keys, an improved color correction engine with automatic white balance, analog export of AE, Lightwave and 3D Studio MAX previews etc. etc.

It's very much worth the extra cost.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I agree with Doc.

As a counter argument, I will offer my case where many of those extra features would have been wasted, until I become more advanced as a movie editor.

My feeling is that someday in the future I'll miss those features and will upgrade, but likely that is some ways off.

The RT.X100 is clearly the superior product, but the price point of the RT.X10 (after the price reduction at many sites) is so good. And you do get a lot of the features of the 100.

At any rate, if you are a relative beginner, the X10 is not a bad choice (or so I convinced myself recently ), but an avid editor or advanced film maker will probably want the 100.

Cheers,
      CEM
      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

As a side note, I ended up at the RT.X10 the following way: I wanted something to archive all my Video8 footage for now, with the flexibility of adding a DV camcorder in the future.

I was looking at the Canopus AVDC line, and simply decided that if I was going to spend 150-300 dollars for a bridge, with no realtime capabilities, I should seriously consider going to 500 and getting the RT.X10.

I think I'm going to be happy with the decision. I'm not at a point where I can justify spening 1000, but the incremental benefits of the X10 over just a conversion bridge seemed justified, in my case.

CEM
        System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Ok... next step, where is the cheepest place to buy? (UK)

Thanks
          Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Don't forget that both the RT.X cards now have VfW drivers, which allow you to use AVI_IO, VirtualDUB, Uleads programs etc. for capturing analog to RGB24, YUY2 or even DV/DVCAM clips.

Darned things are turning into Swiss Army knives

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Cheepest place I've found for the RT X.100 is www.scan.co.uk
              £821.32 inc. VAT

Any suggestions on where else to try?

Comment

Working...
              X